Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB016

CascadeScaper ยท 2012-03-06 23:23

Hey everyone. Been absent from here for quite some time, life is busy these days. Buying a house and looking at buying a mini to tinker around with and "rearrange" the yard. Don't really need much of a machine so I'm looking at TB016's. The question I have is parts availability as I've read the older 016's are tough to find parts for, however I'm under the impression the TB016 that is currently available new from Tak is the same as it always was from a major component standpoint. Question I have is that if I blow a drive motor, swing gear, hydraulic pump, anything along those lines am I going to be able to get parts for it? Machine I'm looking hardest at right now is local with 2K hours, not sure on the price yet as I'm waiting to hear back. Looks to be an ex United Rents machine which has me a little nervous but if the price is right I may have a look.

Replies9
  1. #1Bob Queberg2012-03-09 08:20

    I have been looking at an older '98 tb035 machine. I called the local Takeuchi parts dept. with the serial #. After looking on his "system", he told me that most parts should be available, with a few having a note to contact the factory. Ask the seller about prior service records. Good luck. Regards, Bob

  2. #22stickbill2012-03-09 09:30

    Friend of mine bought a TB016 at Ritchie Bros.Swing motor was shot.Found one for $2300 and about two weeks to get it.Just the part to fix the old one was all most $1800.I think the machine is ok as long as you can get parts.I hate it when a parts dept says you should be able to get parts.They are supposed to know whether you can or not.The Contact Factory is a Red Flag sometimes.

  3. #3roadbuilder62012-03-11 10:12

    Get a tb125 with hydraulic thumb, you have just enough power yet its not a huge machine and the hydraulic thumb makes it much more versitile

  4. #4Jlillie22012-03-20 11:49

    2k isn't much if you can get it for the right price, I'd say roll the dice. Change the final drive fluids right off the bat, and have fun. I was under the impression that the TB025 was the same as my TB25, it is not, and none of the parts are interchangeable with the exception of possibly the seat. The drive motors are no longer available from the OEM, so unless you can find NOS on some Tak dealers shelf, good luck. And there is no way I'd be buying one from the breakers, unless they take returns.....

  5. #5AirBornOne2012-03-21 19:23

    ... My former UR TB016 was clocked @ 12xx. hrs. w/ nearly new tracks. Auction price of 8k plus 10% plus Ca. state sales tax. The more I learn about machinery/equipment on these forums the more I feel this thing has 3-4k hrs. on it.Being a rental that's prolly the norm. The big 'issue' is the swing brake doesn't-this could be a simple maint. or adj. item. . The bucket/boom cylinders are weeping and the boom king pin is worn-found this out greasing it,one side remained dry.Broke it loose and got the grease to surround the pin only to find it was the impacted dirt keeping it snug. Still, as a homeowner,this is a Great machine for my needs & use.If I relied on it for income I would be uneasy. Oh, and the fuel bowl/filter device in the engine compartment is wired in place. If you have the room (I'm on a 1/4 acre), a larger machine will do a much better job of moving rocks,plucking trees etc. Takeuchi Ohio,who used to have an ad here,hooked me up with an e-manual and confirmed my 16 to be a 2002 model sold in 2003. HTH Jay.

  6. #6ltrmc022012-06-23 02:52

    I'm just looking a mini for my personal property 20acres, looking to put in some drainage, dig out some ditches and dig up several stumps. I have no experience with these machines but I know I don't want to exceed an 8K lbs machine so that I can transport it if need to. I see a 2005 TB125 Takeuchi from a rental place for $13,500 has 2200 hrs on it. Is this a decent machine for what I'm looking to do with it and the price OK if in good condition? Parts an issue as asked for on the TB016?

  7. #7AirBornOne2012-06-23 19:16

    If you get the serial # a Takeuchi dealer can look up service records,if any.And also tell you the age of that machine and the factory support status. My 016 is a 2002 model sold new on 2003 about 5 hours away from me.Actually had 14xx hours not the 12xx I reported.I can definitely see some abuse. From what I've been learning from the professionals here,2200 hrs. is prolly a lot for a small machine but not so much for a larger machine. Check what attachment setup is installed.I think United Rentals are invested in Wain-Roy style couplers,everything they have seems to have these. Which can be OK if you have a full complement of attachments but they're kinda few & far between if your buying attachments.I priced the 'A' style coupler (what gets welded to the bucket) @ $900.00.I think I'd rather buy welding equipment. For what you describe a few buckets will do you good. Look at the Takeuchi website & learn about the machines features & how they're used. When I toyed with the idea of purchasing a machine I looked around the net & found HE Forums to be a big help.Not just in answering questions but learning what questions to ask.Mostly by snooping around different articles and listening in on the topics.The safety forum is really helpful also. It's amazing how much trouble you can cause not knowing how to operate equipment. HTH Jay

  8. #8ltrmc022012-06-23 21:32

    What are you reffering to about Wain-Roy and A style couplers? I keep thinking hydraulic couplings but sounds if you're talking about the mechanical attachment setup between the bucket and arm or boom? Sorry I'm illiterate about excavators for now, on here learning before jumping out there and buying something. I keep seeing most used rental units selling with around 2100-2200 hours so there must be some major maintenance and or problems expected shortly after this period? What's the typical life of these rubber tracks? I'm sure it's pretty dependent upon the operator, terrain and maintenance though?

  9. #9AirBornOne2012-06-24 20:31

    Wain-Roy is a style of attachment connection.There are 2 or 3 others that are similar.Most use a bi-pin coupling style. The black boxy looking thing is the 'A' type Wain-Roy or Palladin (maybe a few others) coupler that you attach your bucket to.The 'B' type device mounts to the excavator stick and will grab the 'A' device @ the round part (top),then a pin is placed thru the hole in the tab that'a welded to the bottom. It's as cumbersome to do as describe . With the standard coupler,you can cut out a pair of 'ears' and weld them onto whatever you wish and go to work. HTH J