Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB180FR

Os Blacker ยท 2013-12-26 16:21

I have recently purchased my first excavator, so I have very little knowledge about their operating systems. The machine is a Takeuchi TB180 FR with 4000 hrs. I have only owned it for about two weeks and it has been operating fine but now has developed an intermittent electrical fault whereby it will shut itself down. At this time if you turn the ignition key off and back on there will be no warning lights visible on the dash panel. Although no lights illuminate when the key is switched on the fuel and temp gauges and rotating beacon still function normally Auto Electricians have spent two days looking but are unable to find a fault. They are also unable to locate the electrical controller. Where is it located? I am not sure but I feel that the fault may be related to the angle of operation, Is there any sensors which may be affected by either longitudinal or lateral incline? Up until now the fault has fixed itself overnight but now the machine is on a downward incline inside a dam with an elevated bucketful of dirt and has not fixed itself for four days. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I will be very appreciative for any advice.

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2013-12-26 16:49

    Welcome Os Blacker! I'm not 100% familiar with your model, but assuming it is still mechanically injected, you should be able to by-pass all the electrics & hot wire it to run, if the problem is electrical. - are those sparkies real? Does this illustration show how yours is configured re controls? - If so, you may just need to disconnect the cable at the injector pump to get it going.... BTW - item #8 is the controller - but I wouldn't reveal that info to the guys you are using

  2. #2Os Blacker2013-12-26 18:34

    Many thanks Alrman, The fuel solenoid is electronic and I have hot wired it to allow the machine to run, however no hydraulics work with this, obviously they are dependant on electrical circuitry. (e.g. the folding armrest)

  3. #3The Learner2013-12-26 18:40

    check connections on everything mate battery +- frame- computer+- starter+- fuel cut soleniod+-hold use a bit of emery and clean all the connections even give the connecting bolts and screws a buff up on the wire wheel (learned from experience)

  4. #4tekemp2013-12-27 19:07

    Im sorry I am a little un clear will the machine crank at all with the key?

  5. #5heymccall2013-12-27 21:50

    Above the battery, against the hydraulic tank, you'll find two 45amp fusible links (fuses). One goes to the alternator charge post, and the keyswitch. The other to the fuse panel thru a relay. 12V at the alternator stud? Fuse links good? Master switch on? (near fusible links on battery ground)

  6. #6edrrt2014-01-02 03:31

    This is a very common problem with Takeuchi. What fault light do get when the machine kills. If its oil/ collant: I had a TB175 that was doing the same thing and it was also positional. I replaced the coolant sensor, then the relay (yes it is hard to find), seemed to work then came back. The low coolant sensor having the right resistance was the problem. The sensor is in a fitting spliced into two rubber hoses at the top of the radiatior. The problem is this is held with hose clamps and can rotate. A slight downward angle and the end of the sensor is up in the air on the inside. The angle of the machine can also move the fluid level in relation to the sensor causing it to become exposed and think there is low coolant. The reason it fixes itself overnight in the begining is the engine cools drawing coolant up out the res resubmerging the sensor. Rotate the coolant sensor holder up so the rear end of the sensor is angled downward at a 45 deg angle inside. Fill the coolant res to the the full line. Uncap the radiator and fill from the top. It may be impossible to get the bubble off the sensor if it won't stop killing itself. So if it still kills you need disable the emergency shutdown feature. On the TB175 in the cab there is yellow eletrical tape around the plastic conduit of the wiring harness. Under this are two wire's that plug into eachother. If connected the machine will run, however the fault light and alarm will sound continously. The 180's prob not all that different. The above asumes its the coolant sensor as this is the most common offender. Aparently you can't ground out the new sensors as they work on resistance I hear. Frankly, the kill sensors are such a problem on Tak's I would just leave the emergcy shutdown bypass hooked up if your the only user. You will still get audible and visual alarms if there is a problem, just no shut down.

  7. #7Os Blacker2014-01-08 20:18

    Many Thanks for your information, Edrrt. I was told by the Takeuchi dealer to disconnect the coolant sensor and earth the wire. This has fixed the problem with engine shutting down as a result of the coolant alarm but has not fixed the shut down problem when no warning alarms are displayed. The machine just shuts down with no warning and if you then turn key off and back on no lights appear on the dash panel. The fusible links near the Battery are fine. I have been told to tilt the cab and check all electrical connections at the starter motor but am unable to do this at the moment as the machine will not run and the boom is in the wrong position to allow the cab to tilt.

  8. #8edrrt2014-01-13 20:00

    How long until it dies? You used to be able to Earth the old sensors, however some of the newer ones work off of resistance and will not allow you to do this. If you monkeyed with the coolant sensor and got a result I would start there. Replace the coolant sensor, and if that doesn't work then the relay. It's always good form to follow the wiring harness for shorts but that's one hell of a job.