2006 TL130 with 1400 hours. Put in new 850 CCA battery. Cables appear clean. Just barely cranks fast enough to start when jumped. Any feedback to help resolve this would be appreciated.
If you installed a new battery, why do you have to jump it to start? could be a bad battery? not likely. check all the positive and negative cables and look for possible breaks and corrosion at attachment points. Clean every connection of possible and see if that helps.
I agree with popsiclepete. I would first check all grounds.
As others have said, check grounds. Also a battery, even new, can be bad, check it with a newer electronic battery tester, they are much better than the old carbon pile load testers...
you could have a starter issue as well. I have found worn brushes inside the starter will cause slow cranking as well.
I was just wondering how this turned out. I have a Takeuchi TL150. I need to replace the starter. I was wondering if anyone has any tips before I start. What is the best way to remove it. It looks like a tight fit to go through the belly pan opening. Any info would be helpful. thanks
This is a helpful video for this kind of issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRPLgH6uZg I haven't changed a Tach starter, but bopefully it isn't too hard to get to. A lot of times the starter solenoid plunger disk (inside the starter solenoid) becomes severely pitted after many years of use due to the fact that at the instant of engaging, there is a small current arc that occurs and wears down the contacts leading to less current going to the motor when it becomes severe enough. If you can get to the solenoid more easily, maybe just change that, or the plastic cap at the back (if it is removable), for a couple bucks. There are kits too for a lot of starters, depends on what kind of starter it has. http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-SOLENOID-CONTACT-PLUNGER-SET-FOR-DENSO-/361351612357?hash=item54223c07c5:g:OjUAAOSw9N1Vt-Vq&vxp=mtr I have personally replaced these and achieved many more years of service life from the starter motor ....or just replace or rebuild the starter like it looks like you're probably going to do. But just throwing out the idea just in case.. Good luck!
Jeepwalker, thanks for the info, very helpful. I definitely will check the solenoid. I am getting ready to tackle getting at the starter. Still looking for tips on how to pul the starter. Thanks
check the wiring too. see this thread for example of what can happen: HeavyEquipmentForums
Well, to get the starter out of the tak TL150. Had to pull the radiator, radiator shroud. This let's you get to the cables on the solenoid using long socket extensions. With the cab tilted back you can get to the top starter bolt, with the belly pan off, you can reach the bottom bolt. Looks like a two man job to re install. One holding starter in place and on to start the top bolt.