Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL130 New starter won’t start

Sunblade · 2024-12-12 17:33

Takeuchi TL130 I'm helping a friend. He has put a new starter in, but I don't know if it was done correctly. 1. The battery is good. 2. All fuses seem to be good. 3. Power to fuel pump is good. 4. I turn the key after warm-up glow plug I get one click. 5. No turn over. 6. I tried to short across the terminals on the starter, but NOTHING. 7. 12.4 V from +terminal on the battery to the hot side of the starter. I got nothin' else. What am I missing? Shouldn't I get at least a spark across the top of the starter? Any help will be greatly appreciated.​

Replies2
  1. #1Simon C2024-12-12 18:51

    #7- Did you stab the center of positive post with one lead and hot large positive post on starter with other test lead while holding key in start position for 5 or more seconds to get reading 12.4V. If you did then your positive cable is severed inside somewhere. That simple! Then stab the clean frame of starter and dead center of negative post of battery and try to start for 5 seconds while watching meter. If reading is over 0.5 volts the cable is bad. Need to test everything before starting parts cannon. Reply back what you found. Simon C

  2. #2Sunblade2024-12-13 03:56

    THANKS! I'll try that in the morning. I have the key in the start position, but since I'm working alone I don't have someone turning the key while testing. The cable looks new. Someone before me has put red cable on both + and - terminals of the battery. I am searching the web for the parts/wiring diagram to make sure things are in the right place. I specifically want to know what the big switch attached to the fan frame does. Thanks again. Be Well and Good journey.