Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL140 fuel problem

WillardNelson · 2017-08-12 16:42

I have a 2006 TL140 and it has a heck of a time starting, even just after shutting it down too. Compression, glow plugs, engine timing, lift pump, fuel filter, inj pump screen, fuel line from tank, and return line to tank are all in good condition. Once it's up and running it runs great, no lack of power. Takeuchi part number I1-13260-0011 is what I'm wondering if there should be some sort of a spring loaded check valve. Mine just has a little hole through the center allowing fuel to freely run back to the tank through the return line out of the inj pump. Or my inj pump may need rebuilt. Thanks. -Kevin

Replies19
  1. #1WillardNelson2017-08-12 17:30

    The part I'm referring to is the return line valve/fitting, number 212.

  2. #2tool_king2017-08-12 22:23

    More than likely your fuel stop solenoid is not locking in all the way when cranking .One wire will pull in ,other will be hold ,third will be ground . What is you email address I can email you the manual

  3. #3WillardNelson2017-08-12 23:17

    Thank you tool_king. I forgot to mention the solenoid. I checked it too. It is cycling fully one way when key off and fully traveling other direction with key on. Stop to stop on injection pump stops. Thanks for offering the manual. I have a copy of it on my computer which has helped me out tremendously with this machine. Just still having a (what I think) is air getting into the pump. I replaced one injector which was spraying a weak pattern. Others popped at pressure with good atomization.

  4. #4Ronsii2017-08-13 00:37

    Hi Willard, What Toolking is saying to check is make sure the solenoid is staying open when you are actually cranking the motor.

  5. #5WillardNelson2017-08-13 07:55

    Ahhh, okay. Yes that is a good point. I guess I never did check it while cranking the engine. Might be loosing enough power or weak solenoid that it is partially closing the shut off valve. Okay I'll defiantly check that. Thanks Ronsii.

  6. #6tool_king2017-08-13 08:06

    You can have one that will work but when crankin the the magnet is weak to hold it .Also make sure you have proper voltage and grounds .because those can mess you up big time .

  7. #7WillardNelson2017-08-13 21:55

    Okay, I opened the cab and turned the key on. Solenoid opened fuel shutoff valve. I cranked on the engine with nothing but sputtering, normal grey/black smoke coming out of exhaust. I made sure shut off lever was in the fully open/run position and held the rod in the open/run position while cranking, with no change in engine sound. It's strange how much smoke it can produce making it sound like timing is an issue. But it's timed correct. Sometimes it will start right up with half throttle other times it will sputter and sputter with taking 15 seconds to start up and run on its own.

  8. #8Ronsii2017-08-13 23:04

    I've had engines with a bad glow plug relay cause hard starting... especially with motors that need glow plugs to start.. also this can be an intermittent problem when the relay first starts to go... but after a while it burns out the contacts completely in the relay.

  9. #9WillardNelson2017-08-14 06:02

    Okay. While doing a compression test, I checked and 2 of the 4 glow plugs were bad so I replaced them. (Those things are expensive!) If I glow plug the engine before starting it does tend to start a little easier. It still sounds like after changing a fuel filter upon restarting. But with a direct inject engine on a 85° day, it shouldn't need glow plugged unless the engine is wore out (low compression). I'm getting a solid 11v to the plugs 3 or 4 times when i tested that circuit in the shop.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2017-08-14 06:11

    Did you check the banjo bolt that goes thru 189 in your breakdown?? fuel inlet to the supply pump.

  11. #11WillardNelson2017-08-14 10:07

    Yes I did. There is a little plastic screen in there that had some gunk on it. I cleaned it off and installed new copper crush washers in place of the old rubber washers that were falling apart. Thanks for the reply.

  12. #12WillardNelson2017-10-22 00:06

    Just a little update. I'm still putting up with my hard starting issue. But just recently it has started to loose power and die on me, sounding like fuel starvation. Everything else besides the fuel pickup on the bottom of the tank has been checked and good. I pulled the pickup flange out today and found it very plugged. A leaf with debris around it. It now "still" is difficult to start but doesn't miss or have lack of power anymore. So check this if you have a lack of power. P.S. I'm thinking about putting a little screen around the pickup tube kind of similar to what an atv has in their tank.

  13. #13tool_king2017-10-22 10:01

    WillardNelson Check you glow plugs .If they are carboned up it will cause hard starting.You can take them out and clean the carbon off them and test them with a battery .Hook up to jumper wire to them .put one end on the positive and touch other end to the negative .Just touch to you see it glow then remove negative wire and let it cool.

  14. #14WillardNelson2017-10-22 22:42

    Yep, glow plugs are clean. 2 are new and other 2 are in working order. I'm just really surprised on how plugged the sump fitting was. Pretty much everything else is ruled out other than pulling the injection pump and rebuilding it. Possibly this winter's project.

  15. #15WillardNelson2018-05-16 09:09

    Just a follow up. I still had troubles starting the machine, so I took it to a injection pump shop. The cam shaft in pump had noticeable wear on the lobes and the plungers and barrels in pump were wore pretty bad. Had it rebuilt and put on and timed, now it fires right up on demand. Thanks for all the help.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2018-05-16 09:46

    Ok Kool.. Thanks for the update.. I for 1 really appreciate it.. Its VERY common for those pumps to need P&B's.. it MUST BE the filtration system on those engines.. especially in the environment they work in.. FYI>> they are also prone to "over heat" do to the air screen behind the cab.. debris clogs it & nobody looks back there..

  17. #17skata2018-05-17 03:26

    how many hours you have on machine?

  18. #18WillardNelson2018-05-17 06:55

    I've got 3800 hours on it now.

  19. #19WillardNelson2018-05-17 06:57

    Is it a removable screen? I'm thinking mine doesn't have one at this point in time.