I have been going over the manual and there just doesn't seem to be much to it. Am I correct in thinking the adjustment is made by the amount of grease pressure? Now that I have the the front end lifted off the ground and have the grease discharge valve removed, on one side the track loosened up a lot and on the other not so much but it seemed an equal amount of grease came out of each side. All the wheels on the side that became loose move easily, the wheels are a little stiffer on the side where the track didn't drop much. The manual says if the grease doesn't come out easily to roll back and forth a few times. I think I will do that to try and get as much of the grease out as I can. There was red sticky grease in there. I have the green lithium. Does it matter? Is it a wise maintenance routine to get the grease out or is it a closed system that doesn't need to be messed with? I am going over everything because the machine hadn't been maintained. It has no history and I am assuming every maintenance task is over due. I am having a "debris in the fuel issue" that I am working on and I believe that has more to do with my power loss than anything else, but it also seems I lose power most when the crawlers are in motion. Mostly in reverse as if they are straining. Is that possible? Anyway, I am sorting this thing out the best I can. It keeps running better for longer periods of time, I am making progress. Thanks for the help.
Any #2 grease works just fine in the track adjusters. And, in that application, you can mix red, green, blue, brown...whatever you have on hand. The grease isn't to be let out, except when removing a track assembly. As for one side remaining tight, debris, mud, corrosion, etc could be making that side retract partially. It certainly isn't of any great concern, other than if you need to remove that track.
is there no other maintenance for the crawlers other than changing the travel gear oil at 250 hours and checking the tension on the tracks every 50 hrs? The rollers just go till they can't go no more? They are disposable? I can't stand the thought of it!
Yup, the rollers are disposable.
damn...
I mean, they do sell the individual components, but, seldom is the deficiency caught before extensive damage of the components that are typically reused, like the shell.
Nowadays track gear is run to total destruction, if you don't you're not getting your moneys worth Synthetic gear oil for the drive hubs. It may be expensive but well worth it in the long run