Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL140 pumps broke off at bell housing

jimpad ยท 2024-08-15 17:19
Replies9
  1. #1jimpad2024-08-15 17:20

    Anyone have any advice? Splines are ground off end of pump shaft. Should I pull the whole pump assembly or just the one closest to the motor? TIA

  2. #2heymccall2024-08-15 17:36

    Happened to my TL150 machines. You can replace the shaft without buying pump. And, I don't think you can buy just one pump from Takeuchi. The assumption with mine (plural) was collapsed engine mount rubbers. And, that pump assembly was engineered around 1/2 mounting bolts and Takeuchi used M12, and Allen head, no less. I tapped mine, after the second failure, to 1/2" and used a 12pt'd bolt head. You'll also need to inspect the coupler on the flywheel.

  3. #3jimpad2024-08-15 17:44

    Can't really see yet but it looks to me the shaft just slips into the flywheel and the teeth look ok but I don't see a coupler. How could engine mounts cause problem... it looks to me the pump just hangs off the bellhousing, so even if the mounts were worn the pump should just settle with the motor?

  4. #4heymccall2024-08-15 18:06

    No suspension on machine, so, when rubber mounts shrink, the engine can see-saw violently, and it's that extra movement that creates the shock effect on that 200+ pounds leveraging off a 12mm bolt. Newer machines, like TL10, have 4 bolt pump flanges.

  5. #5jimpad2024-08-15 18:09

    Damn, did you change motor mounts too?

  6. #6heymccall2024-08-15 18:11

    You'll have to wait for others to chime in, as I don't know how to share my Takeuchi experiences.

  7. #7jimpad2024-08-15 18:12

    Really appreciate your input. Did you separate the first pump or pull the whole pump assembly?

  8. #8heymccall2024-08-15 18:20

    #45 on bottoms crush over time.

  9. #9jimpad2024-08-17 08:45

    Coupler looks pretty shredded too.