Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL140 starter staying engaged

jimpad · 2021-04-18 01:53

Starter stays engaged no matter where I position the key. Only way to disengage starter is to remove positive battery connection. I'm assuming this indicates a 'stuck' solenoid?

Replies2
  1. #1Coaldust2021-04-18 12:32

    Good morning. Watts up, ohm boy? It’s just the circuit of life, I’m afraid. That’s unfortunate, because that TL140 has a lot of potential. it could be stuck solenoid contacts. It could be the ignition switch, or a starter relay is shorted and always sending power to the “S” terminal on the solenoid. Either way, I would remove the starter and bench test it. Safer that way. If the starter passes a bench test, then you can rule out the starter as the problem and focus on the control circuit. As for the puns? It’s just a phase I’m currently going through.

  2. #2jimpad2021-04-18 12:49

    You're definitely amped on the puns! That starter is very resistive to being pulled.