So I have been looking at upgrading my T200 and stumbled across a 04 Tl150 with 3300 hours has new tracks, rebuilt final drives and hydraulic pump along with new hoses and the under carriage gone through. Then i started asking about the motor and was told they took out the Yanmar turbo 4 cylinder and replaced it with a 6 cylinder 354 perkins at a local fab shop, machine shop about 500 hours ago. I know I should probably stay away from the machine but it is dirt cheap and has me wondering if anyone has done a swap like this.
Maybe all those new and rebuilt components are because of the increased horsepower and torque curve of a 6 cylinder engine versus the 4 cylinder those components were designed to withstand.
After my experiences with Perkins engines I'd definitely pass. Even when they worked like they should seemed likes parts were noticably more expensive.
Don't be tempted by a cheap price. You will have a one off machine that was not designed to run with that engine, locating parts will be torture and you will ensure that you will have to scab together future repairs and issues that are associated with this Frankenstein machine. Unless you like to turn wrenches, diagnose weird one off problems, and fab parts together you have found your project machine. I don't get that, I buy them to move dirt and make money but if that is your thing....
i'm amazed they went through the hassle of swapping in another style engine. that is not easy.
I ruled the machine out but it seems like you could get this machine for the mid teens, they went through the hassle of making the bellhousing professionally etc. I feel like something really bad must have happened to the Yanmar motor in order for them to not just rebuild it.