Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

takeuchi TL240 Rack Actuator mystery

delcodave ยท 2024-07-31 21:31

Hello I have just completed an engine swap in my Takeuchi TL240 with the Yanmar 4tnv98T engine due to a cracked block. Everything has been hooked back up. It cranks but I am not getting any fuel out of the injection pump. The fuel rack actuator has a module with a 5 wire plug. I have read that if you change the injection pump the E-ECU needs to be programmed. I swapped the original Rack Actuator into the new injection pump but I am still not getting any fuel. I am getting 8 flashes from the warning light on the instrument panel. The other code I am intermittently getting is a 4 flash relating to the coolant sensor. I am stumped as the original Rack actuator should be programmed to the E-ECU as it was still running when I pulled it into the shop.

Replies7
  1. #1old timer2024-08-04 13:36

    Hi Delcodave, 8 flashes means the rack actuator has failed, only way to confirm is to plug it in with SA-D (Yanmar) Just finished changing an injection pump with the same failure. Bad news, you can only get it from Takeuchi. Wish I could give you better news, good luck and I hope this helps

  2. #2delcodave2024-08-04 13:55

    I am working on getting someone out with the Software to scan the ECU. I find it hard to believe that 2 different rack actuators could simultaneously go bad considering the machine drove into the garage under its own power and the Used engine was running when it was pulled from the donor machine. I am hoping this can be fixed via a computer scan and re-flash.

  3. #3Markfitterirl2024-09-20 16:36

    Hi did you have any joy with this..I am have the same issue with a vio33 yanmar..nothing coming out of injector pump. I have plugged in sa-d software and no faults. Looks like injector pump has failed.Is there a any way of locking the injector pump to remove or do you know the procedure?

  4. #4heymccall2024-09-20 18:02

    From my book.

  5. #5heymccall2024-09-20 18:05

    Book on that.

  6. #6delcodave2024-09-20 18:27

    Unfortunately I have not had any success yet. I had two Takeuchi Technicians come out they did not believe my diagnosis of re-flashing the ECU for the different injection pump. They insisted it was something else they tested and replaced every single relay on the machine. Ultimately then deciding that the ECU was "fried" and ordered a "programmed ECU" from yanmar. Of course that did not work either. So when they were done throwing parts at it I pulled the injection pump and discovered missing lock washers, lots of RTV, missing nuts on mounting studs and it appears that the 4 bolts on the timing gear that explicitly say do not remove were in fact messed with. It is becoming very apparent that the "Good" "Complete" "Running" used engine was not any of those things. Going to send the injection pumps from the old and used motor out with the ECU to see if one can be programmed to work and fingers crossed nothing else is wrong with the motor. I will know more in a couple of weeks. The manual states that ECU must be programmed whenever you change an injection pump. When you pull the pump do not remove the 4 smaller bolts only the large nut on the center shaft.

  7. #7DIESELMAN35002026-03-17 23:11

    hey delcodave how did you make out with your TL240 i have a motor im putting back together for someone and the guy pulled the 4 bolts off the hub like you mentioned. i can not find anyone to tell me if the IP cam has a TDC for #1 when setting it. the pump came back nothing was locked. it has four 90* lobes it feels and its a 4 cyl so im assuming each one is a compression for a cylinder i just dont know where it is in the firing order. or is every lobe just a compression in general and the pump has no TDC or needs to be pinned? thanks john