Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2017 Cat 239D Final Drive Speed Sensor

bigdiesel05 · 2024-07-31 22:15

I recently purchased a 239D Serial#bl901892. Got a great deal on it that came direct from a cat dealer. Got it home and final drive on the right side duo seal begin to leak!! That’s just my luck! I thought well I better pull it off and have it rebuilt before it eats itself up.. wrong! Hydraulic shop tells me it’s going to be $3750 to repair and I was told it’s a bonfiglioli drive and parts are limited. Cat wanted $4400 for a new drive so I went aftermarket and found one for $2750 to my door. Thought I was making out on this debacle until I went to remove the speed sensor on the aftermarket drive and realized it was a completely different diameter! The sensor resembles a cat speed sensor part # 262-3764 and the connector is a Deutsch.. I have a female connector to swap on my machine side but can’t find any schematics for my final drive electrical for Pinouts. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2024-08-01 05:18

    Sorry to hear of your issues. It's a shame that you dived into the leak before giving it a chance to "heal itself". Duo-Cone seals tend to weep to varying degrees when a machine is parked for any length of time and can stop leaking once the machine in question is given an extended workout. Certainly it's always worth a try, unfortunately you are way past that point now. Below are the details of the RH speed sensor connections and wire colours. RL-C4 is th eDeutsch connector you referred to.

  2. #2bigdiesel052024-08-01 08:11

    Thank you Nige! My machine has a orange,purple,yellow,white coming the the machine side to my original sensor. Is that pin out for a different model?

  3. #3bigdiesel052024-08-01 08:26

    Also on the machine side it has a 6 pin connector but only 4 wires going to it??? Why would they use a 6 pin connector if only 4 are needed 8vfeed, 8vreturn and 2 for signal??

  4. #4Nige2024-08-01 08:47

    Forget what I posted above. You have the optional attachment jumper for the Sauer drive motor. See CONN 52 below. I hope the aftermarket motor you purchased is compatible with the OEM one on the LH side of the machine. And if you look at the motor speed sensor Part Numbers for the Sauer option on the image below they are different to the 272-3764 that you mentioned in your OP. Helloooooooooooo...........

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-08-01 08:49

    Yet another reason I tell people to avoid aftermarket finals

  6. #6bigdiesel052024-08-01 08:54

    I hear you! I asked multiple times if it was a direct replacement and kept getting a yes of course… lesson learned for me!

  7. #7Tyler d4c2024-08-01 12:29

    Is sending it back and getting oem a option

  8. #8Nige2024-08-01 12:31

    is putting the OEM one back on and running it for a while to see if the Duo-Cone leak heals up an option.?

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-08-01 12:35

    Or that may I recommend a final drive oil change too

  10. #10Nige2024-08-01 12:55

    That wouldn’t hurt. Worth mentioning that because of the small quantity the recommended oil is a synthetic 75W/140.

  11. #11bigdiesel052024-08-01 13:35

    I would put the original back on but hydraulics shop tore it completely down.. no shavings or anything when I check and drained fluid. I’m going to swap my machine side connector after work and see if the ecm likes it… if not then luckily I can send the drive back for a full refund and I’ll just got cat and take it in the shorts!

  12. #12bigdiesel052024-08-01 17:53

    Well boys.. big no go on this deal.. ecm did not like it.. I called for a return and contacted my local cat dealer. $4400 and will be here next week. Lesson learned and thank you for your help!

  13. #13heymccall2024-08-01 18:26

    If it's a 442-5650. The duocone seal kit is available Cat and aftermarket. 386-6630 At a glance, the parts look readily available for the 442-5650.

  14. #14bigdiesel052024-08-01 18:45

    The hydraulic shop had me for the ball bearings, seal kit and retaining nut being it got damaged. They also disassembled the drive motor side to inspect and said it was worn which didn’t make sense because I had no issues with the right side as far as operation. All I got back was a bucket of parts. Definitely learned on this one!

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-08-01 19:13

    While you're at cat pick up some oil and replace it in the other side!