Just trying to gather info regarding full steel track options and conversions for the larger Tracked loader models. They are a very rare tool over here in the UK, but I have applications for one that would cover a wide range of work types. I really want one with steel tracks to cover the type of work I undertake and don't mind giving up a fair amount of comfort for it. No real information about, obviously I know bobcat do Steel Tracks but can find nothing for the 870 stating they are an option and any shoe width or ground pressure? The Cat I believe already runs a steel chain? but can an aftermarket track from someone like Berco be simply swapped for the originals. The Takeuchi TL250 is pictured in Australia with steel tracks by Semco? but again no real info anywhere on any conversions. I know all the above machines have for and against, but I have dealers fairly evenly spaced and no real loyalty for any manufacturer but if anyone wants to share valid reasons why one would be better than the others I'll be glad of the advice. The work will be a complete variety in all ground conditions besides running FAE mulching head, Meri Crusher for road repair. Eddie.
Hey Eddie- Like you said Bobcat offers or offered a steel undercarriage option - I have not seen one in person. As far as Cat goes there is the one that Supertrak builds. I don't think I have seen a picture on the web of a Tak, do you have a link? It would like to demo one of these, I bet they are LOUD. I wonder what the operating costs would be per hour and how the steel undercarriage compares $$ wise with the rubber tracks at time of replacement. The other day I was working up some operating costs between a T250 and a D5G. It was interesting to see that just the UC cost & replacement per hour of a T250 is $1.50 more than the D5G. (D5G is $3.00/hr and T250 is $4.50/hr from my historical operating conditions) The D5G was only $1.75 per hour more to operate than the T250 (total operating costs +equip. replacement+OH and using the same labour rate and burden for both operators) If you look just at fuel, UC maintenance & replacement and service - the tracked skid is more $$ per hour to operate than the D5G. I attribute this higher cost of the CTL to the cost and wear rates of the rubber tracks. These numbers are for my operating conditions - the only OC's that are important to me.:tong Your milage may very.
its interesting that your d5g is cheaper than a t250 to run, dose that mean that a steel track track loader ,ie cat 933c or 939c type , if redesigned to run attachments and the like could be cheaper than the big skidsteer/ctls? the 933/939/d3/d5 seems to be ok to 8 or 9k hrs, much moor than a skidsteer .makes you think eh?the running costs are the key to making a living or not.
I don't exactly know how a rubber tracked CTL would compare to a small crawler loader but I would have to think the numbers would be similar - in my operating conditions The 953 penciled out at $5.67 per hour for UC compared to the $4.50 for the T250. Overall operating costs for the 953C per hour were approx. $30 more than the T250 - this is due to more fuel usage and a much higher purchase/replacement cost. I would venture to say that a 933/939 size track loader would be cheaper per hour on the UC than a CTL, burn about the same amount of fuel and the operator costs are the same - the only difference would be the purchase/replacement price. It does get you to thinking nzpatch and I think everyone running CTL's need to put the pencil to the paper to see what it's really costing them, I was surprised:cool2 CTL's are expensive little machines to operate, I know they are very handy and have their place but if you are putting one out into the field where a small dozer or loader could handle the job, I think you are loosing money in the long run. If all you have is a CTL, then read my signature line below and know what it costs per hour to run it.
CM1995, how interesting that your thoughts basically match my own! I have in my mind a CAT 939c sitting on wider dozer pads (insides cut to get them on) for lower ground pressure and more traction. Coupled to this a front quick hitch to integrate with the CAT tool carrier system and I can run all kinds of attachments. Now the big question? Would it give out enough to run something like a FAE mulching head? Or would I be looking at a demountable rear powerpack when mulching is required? I'm of similar mind that a 939 would outlast a couple of skid steers and possibly be stronger and cheaper to run? Eddie.
A good sized FAE head requires 75-100 gpm so a power pack or an upgrade to 140+ hp and a big pump would be needed. I shy away from 939's. Their loaders don't stand up to hard work like they should. Since you've broken out the torch before, a liebherr 614 could handle a fae 200U or a gyrotrac 500hf with some work. Replace the deere 4054 with a big power one and shove in a pump for an attachment circuit. Cooling capacity would be the big issue to consider. Most of the commercially available ~140hp mulcher tractors use 4 cylinders, but have pretty large cooling packages that might get in the way during other operations.
A small track loader like the 939 or the 605 Deere would last longer and from my historical numbers be cheaper to operate in my conditions. The purchase price new is double what a CTL is and that is a big difference but a small TL will outlast at least 2 CTL's IMO. A metal UC is cheaper to run than rubber in the long haul, since you are replacing the rubber tracks at a far faster rate than a metal UC. It's just a simple function of how many hours you can get out of each setup. Some jobs just require a CTL or SSL that a small TL wouldn't fit the bill for, as every machine has it's place. But there are situations where CTL's are used when a small dozer or TL would be a better choice economically. The reason I started crunching the numbers was to find the actual cost between the two units and I have a lot of free time:tong. If you have several pieces of equipment to pull from for a job (like a D5G, T250 or 953 for example) it pays to match the right machine to the job. I don't have an experience running brush/tree mowers other than a brushcat on a CTL.
if only cat would make a redesigned track loader along the lines of a 953 but only 100hp or so and put it on d3 system one chains with the size to suit, high flow kitted,8 or 9 ton,quick hitch,etc and were all go! mmm 943d??