Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to move a stalled skid?

rooferdave ยท 2011-03-13 09:24

Hi all! New to the forum, I have a 743 for about 2- 3 years. When I first got it I started inspecting and servicing it, after 3 months some one borrowed it for 5 days and I got it back 15 months later. It was abused during this time It has issues now I am worried if it dies somewhere how do I move it? It stalled last week outside the shop and the worker who it stalled on said it locked up and could not be pushed, anyhow he picked it up with the forklift and brought it in to work on it. What do you do in the field??? I tried a search and found nothing on this topic.

Replies7
  1. #1Komatsu 1502011-03-13 10:12

    I don't know of any skids with hydraulic releases on them like the small hydrostatic tractors. If you don't have other equipment around, you're stuck. In the dirt they get shoved on a trailer, just dragging the tires. I've loaded a couple on a trailer with an excavator. When the dealer picks them up they use a flatbed wrecker and drag them up. When they picked up one of our Bobcats on asphalt the driver took a quick look around (looking for witnesses I guess) then dropped a gallon of antifreeze on the street and his deck. That actually worked very well.

  2. #21080 bobcat2011-03-13 10:58

    I get a wrecker with a rollback when one wont move to have them brougth to the shop to work on them

  3. #3Lil' Puss2011-03-13 13:55

    On my unit I remove the hydraulic hose fittings on top of the brake lock pistons (have to lift seat) and insert a length of 1/8" brazing rod (because it's soft) and screw back down with cap nuts. This releases and holds the brakes off. Don't remember the length of the rod, sorry. DON"T START THE ENGINE UNLESS YOU PLUG THE HYDRAULIC LINES TOO! Whenever someone asks to borrow my equipment, I say "Sure, leave your wife as deposit and I'll treat her the same way you treat my machine". Didn't take long for that word to get around either.

  4. #4Mikefromcny2011-03-13 15:58

    +1!!! He better have a good looking wife! Seriously though, I refuse to loan out anything, machines, tools, torches, welders. Most people will NOT treat the machine like its their own. If its so important that my machine has to do the job, I come with it.

  5. #5maddog2011-03-14 09:34

    On my case 1840 there is a release nut{2} on the pump so that it can be moved. I have had to use it this past winter when the fuel line froze.

  6. #6Ryanrb252011-03-15 07:49

    with bobcats you can remove the handbrake solinoid cap (bang right in the middle of the drivecase as soon as you lift the cab) and remove the rod and spring that locks the drives in place..put the cap back on and your bobcat should be able to be pushed around.

  7. #7cartzblown94z2011-03-17 13:38

    on my gehl it has a manual e-brake and if its off the machine is free to roll, no hyd lock. my asv however would be a diff story