Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi vs anything else

ForestDan ยท 2010-01-05 14:11

I need a compact track loader, and have researched just about everything out there. I'm in the forestry biz, and need lifting capacity more than pushing power. Vertical lift is a plus, but not the sole decision maker. I've rented and run several Cats and Bobcats, and a Thomas machine once. I've heard raves about the Takeuchi/Gehl/Mustang machines. Any feedback about real ownership costs, performance, maintenance, dependability, parts and service?

Replies6
  1. #1sandnsnow2010-01-05 15:25

    Well it depends on the size. I have never ran a 130 but ive owned a 140 and now a 150. I have never regreted buying the 150. I dont think we could ever work without it. I would however buy from the mustang line. In my openion there is not a better machine on the market. They are built to take abuse. Compare the sheet metal and the quality as to there fit and finish. (more like a dozer than a skid steer). I have about 1000 hours on ours with no problems. Not a single one. Replacement tracks hurt the pocket book. I will not deal with our dealer because of personal reasons but they seem to have the parts there. There are alot of dealerships out the and with 3 lines someone is bound to have the part. This is just my 2 cents and im sure someone else will feel diffarent about it.

  2. #2Bleed Green2010-01-05 21:00

    What is the difference between the Mustangs and the Taks? I have been of the thinking that they were the same machine basically with a different paint job.

  3. #3bonanno232010-01-06 17:38

    same machine, different paint, different door. the keys say takeuchi as well as many other parts on the machine. My tak dealer sells all 3 for some reason. The gehl was the most expensive, than the tak, and finally the mustang. The tak door is by far the best of all skid-steer machine. flips up over your head. can run with door open or closed.

  4. #4Makoshark2010-01-20 12:10

    I can't say I've field tested all CTL's but since purchasing a Tak tl150 it lives up to pretty much all the good feedback and performance that people give it. It's truly a workhorse.

  5. #5stuvecorp2010-01-20 20:57

    I have a Case 440 with VTS and a Mustang MTL16(Tak 130), the Mustang can do everything the Case does for the most part. The Mustang lifts about the same and is about 3000 pounds less that the Case/VTS. I prefer the ride of my Case/VTS over the Mustang but on level ground there isn't too much difference. I personally prefer the Case controls but the Mustang/Tak has very resposive controls. They are a good machine.

  6. #6copelanddev2010-01-26 06:58

    Takeuchi I am looking at several track skid steers. Your post was very helpful.