Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Talk me out of a JD 710

92b16si · 2019-06-30 21:33

I'm looking to buy a new to me backhoe in the next couple of months. I currently have a case 580sl , and looking for something a bit bigger but not an excavator. I mostly do farm work out in Mexico, build, fix dirt roads, orchard work( pull tree stumps, hilling, loading manure) and most importantly water retention ponds. I hear the JD 710 is pretty much a excavator with wheels, and front loader. So I think it would be a great addition. But my concern is how reliable are they compared to case 580sl?I'm in the middle of no where and anything besides filters , diesel, and oil will be ruffly about 4 hrs away. ( But so are most of the parts for the case). Anything else I should look into instead?

Replies31
  1. #1AzIron2019-06-30 21:46

    28 to 30 thousand pounds is a good reason to look at a 410 710s are decent units I think they are a little to powerful for there own good they dont hold up to abuse as well as a 310 but if you are more operator than cab occupant you will be ok. Jd parts are just about as abundant as case they might be a little more expensive cause of size Also 710 are far fewer than 580s or 310s so it does affect parts availability

  2. #292b16si2019-06-30 22:24

    How heavy is a 410? Digging deph difference ? And hp?

  3. #3Bumpsteer2019-06-30 22:59

    One local farmer has a 710d....it's a brute, he uses it for clearing fencerows. Excavator on wheels is a good description. Ed

  4. #4hosspuller2019-06-30 23:04

    You might message HEF member workshoprat92 . He has a 710 story to tell. The good and the bad.

  5. #5Shimmy12019-06-30 23:35

    I would look for a 780C or D if it were me. MUCH more agile, WAY better visibility, and you get a 6BT Cummins.

  6. #6AzIron2019-06-30 23:49

    Depends on the series the current L series is around 20000 lbs the older ones like an e ar around 18000 lbs A 410 with an e stick will get 17 foot almost 18 310 or 580 barely get 16 but a g series and newer 710 will get 21 foot it actually has about a foot more depth than an equal weight excavator. I couldn't speak to a 780 never seen one in real life have ran quite a few cat 446 tho and the one 710 I ran was similar they are no were near as agile as a 580 good for bigger work they carry buckets almost twice the size of a 580 or 310 but they lack a lot on speed and they take a fair bit more finesse to run. If your doing anything limited access or tight quarters they are just to big to be efficient but open area they work good

  7. #792b16si2019-07-01 00:13

    Thanks guys who makes the 780's?

  8. #8mitch5042019-07-01 01:06

    case

  9. #9Tinkerer2019-07-01 13:05

    Those Case and John Deere 700 series are hell on overhead wires if you get around any and forget they are there !!

  10. #1092b16si2019-07-01 14:00

    Iam in a very rural area. Will mostly be working on avocado orchards. Only 780s I see are like 1989-1990. Anything a little newer?

  11. #11Tinkerer2019-07-01 22:34

    I think the Case 780D was made into the end of 1993 maybe to Jan 1994.

  12. #1292b16si2019-07-01 23:43

    are they worth looking into? Or maybe should j look into a case 590? Or what else should I turn my eye towards?

  13. #13Tinkerer2019-07-02 10:15

    If it were me I would not be looking at a Case 780. It's going to need parts now and then and they will be very expensive. Availability of parts may be a problem also. Any of the Case 590 series or John Deere 410 series would be a good choice.

  14. #14AzIron2019-07-02 19:50

    Do you do a lot of jobs were you have the opinion that your 580 just can't sit it

  15. #1592b16si2019-07-02 23:38

    sort off sometimes i need a bit more power to push or dig. and if im going to buy another machine might as well buy something a bit bigger. i would really love to stay with Case but it seems like my only option will be the 590.

  16. #16AzIron2019-07-03 06:52

    I am not a case guy and I have never ran a 590 but they are comparable to a 410 so you would get a few more horse power and some more weight is it a noticeable difference yes is it life changing probably not if you want life changing then get a 710 Personally I have stacked my 310 sl hl against a 710 digging footings on a tilt building the 710 did not out perform my machine it's got a much slower cycle time but it will kill a smaller machine loading trucks and digging deep only because of bucket capacity it's just a matter of what you want in a machine Sounds to me like a 590 might fit the bill just fine especially if you want to stay case one thing I can tell you is every machine I ran I have always wanted just a little more reach and a little more power it never ends

  17. #17Tinkerer2019-07-03 09:20

    Case made the 680 series machines. The 680L was the last ones made ending in 1993. It will dig to nearly 17 feet. It weighs about 20000 lbs. 90 horsepower. The problem with them is that nice ones don't come up for sale very often. There is a k model in Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...lx=Contains&Manu=CASE&qss=1&FullText=case+680

  18. #1892b16si2019-07-08 23:39

    thanks let me look into this one

  19. #19690elc2019-10-14 17:36

    You need a JD 710d and up IF : You want to always sink up to the axles in any wet dirt, roll over on a fast swing because the outriggers are 18" too short, you want to NOT be able to see the hole you are digging because the boom is the size of a Ford pickup, you like to do wheelies on any slight uphill drive unless you fill the bucket full first, you want the same digging speed as a 310d but with a huge 6 cylinder engine and 2x the fuel use. It is not a excavator on wheels, it is a liability and a lead weight. I use a 655c Ford New Holland along side it and its like driving a motorcycle rather than a semi truck. And the Ford out works it in any fashion. Don't go over a 510 size in Deere, and the 580 Case is fine. Any back hoe over 16000# is going up against the rules of physics. Get a smaller track hoe with a blade if you are going to do a lot of trench work. Just my hard won opinion, results may vary.

  20. #2092b16si2019-10-14 17:47

    great points . Sold. Thanks. How about a 590sl? Any experience with those? Are they worth the difference from the 580?

  21. #21690elc2019-10-14 17:53

    Don't know the 590 and the 580 is just what I hear from others that love them. Some guys DO love the 710, but I see it as a pavement machine on flat land only. I love the 710d for only one reason: I bought one for $12,000 when the market crashed and sold it 10 years later with no repair work for $23,000. Better than any stock! But I found a guy that had a love for it, can't say why.

  22. #22Shimmy12019-10-14 18:31

    While I believe your evaluation of a 710 is spot on, I don't agree with the "any hoe over 16000# is going against the laws of physics" comment. My dad and I put almost 10,000 hours on a 780C. No MFWD, but we had 21L-24 rubber on it. That machine was more capable than most people want to believe, and it would dig right with a 160 hoe on 8' waterline trench. If you have a need for a backhoe with lead in it's pencil like a 710, a 780D with front wheel drive would run circles around a 580-590. Parts are an issue, but they are for an older 580-590 as well. We upgraded to a Cat 446B when the time came, but only because Case quit building the 780.

  23. #23690elc2019-10-14 18:46

    Dont know the 780c. Is that case? I think my 655C is @ 16,000 pounds, and the rear tires are 28". It's 2wd and I have never needed the other 2 wheels to turn. My point probably was that more HP and bigger tires and longer outriggers are good, but the weight does not necessarily help after a certain point - like it does in a excavator...

  24. #24Shimmy12019-10-14 20:40

    780C is a Case. It weighs about 24k, and the stabilizer spread is 14'.

  25. #25690elc2019-10-14 22:02

    Well that sounds like a scary beast. Must be fairly old - never saw one.

  26. #26Shimmy12019-10-15 22:35

    Imagine a 580-590 on steroids. Obviously weight becomes an issue in soft ground, but awkward is the last word I'd use to describe one. The only advantage the 446B had over the 780C was front wheel assist, and a better grading loader bucket. The hoe would outdig the Cat all day long.

  27. #27KSSS2019-10-16 09:37

    The 590 way ahead of the 580 in performance. It is heavier and wider (they do have a 589 Wide Track which mimics the stance of the 590). The extra weight makes it more effective pushing/dozing material. Lifts more at the hoe. I was never a big BH fan, but that 590SN changed that. Everyone that has run it, steps out impressed with it. I have never run a 710, but the 590 might be more liveable than 25K pound 710.

  28. #28AzIron2019-10-16 20:40

    I would be curious how much difference there is over a d series 710 and a j or k series as far as weight and outrigger spread I have ran a 710 j and I enough to know my 446b wont hold a candle to it I find that 710 to be a stable machine now I dont know if I would hang it on a hill side pushing the limit like I have my 310 sl hl but in those situations I need a 130 or 160 excavator to put dirt were I want anyway. I would think comparing a 590 and 580 is like a 310 to a 410 the 410 has a little more weight and reach neither do much if anything for you if you are never up against digging past 12 foot deep or need more breakout force it's a difference but not life changing

  29. #29Catdawg2023-11-26 09:00

    Absolute L take. So wrong and exaggerative. I live on 10 acres in the desert and I have owned a 710G for 10 years now and have found it to be the most versatile machine imaginable. Absolutely not just for flat paved and does not get stuck in mud as easy as you described. Maybe a 2wd model but I would not know I have MFWD. It is an adjustment coming from a 310 size, and those are champions of being nimble and absolutely great for many jobs. But if you have open space and want to be limitless in ability, 710 all the way. I can LIFT full size 40’ HQ shipping containers and set into place. Not drag, LIFT. I can roll 15 ton boulders. Then I can go grade the roads and dig an irrigation trench. Incorrect statement that this digs as fast as a smaller machine. How is that possible when it has significantly more hoe weight capacity?? Let’s race digging out a 10 ton boulder from the ground All the weight mentioned is a huge positive also when pushing with the front bucket, the machine commands the earth into submission. The weight is also very helpful for compaction. I’ve never tipped mine over but have come close. Definitely that is more of an issue with the larger machine , as is wheelies when you have a 3’ bucket on the back, but I find not being able to what I want with a lesser machine an issue too My operator friends who have run this machine along with their smaller backhoes definitely understand their limitations and strengths and in the end all concur this is the one for larger areas of nimbleness / access is no issue. With that said I have gotten comfortable in Tight spaces and Have managed pretty well in tight spaces. But to be sure there have been times I just can’t fit. Hope this helps for anyone considering. It really matters what you plan to do with the machine, and your amount of space that you will be working with.

  30. #30HarleyHappy2023-11-26 10:31

    Yelling at 4 year old clouds isn’t cohesive.

  31. #31skyking12023-11-26 11:12

    Takes some googling to get here, give the man a cookie his blood sugar is down.