Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tandem dually trailer

Welder Dave · 2022-10-01 23:51

I have a tandem dually flat deck trailer that was part of a package deal when I bought my track loader. I don't have a tow vehicle anymore so was thinking I should sell the trailer. It needs some repairs though. My neighbor who's in his 80's now was using it to haul bales. The front jack was bent and needed a new cross member but it's completely ripped off now. The flip down ramps need a little repair, it needs some or all new tires and could use some new deck boards. It also needs some wiring repairs but nothing too serious. It has the oil hubs which are supposed to be better. If I recall it's 24ft. with a 4ft., maybe 5ft. beaver tail. It had conveyor belts on it for the Cat but only 1 is left. Have no idea what happened to the other one. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it though. My neighbor was kind of reckless with equipment. A new similar trailer is around $25,000. I'm wondering how much I should fix it up or if I should try to sell it as a fixer upper? If I spent $2000-$2500 fixing it up would I get a much better return than selling it as is? I'm thinking I'd get real low ball offers the way it sits. I thought fixing it up maybe I could get about 1/2 of new. I don't know how much trailers depreciate. Looking for some opinions on what would be the best way to sell it.

Replies6
  1. #1cosmaar12022-10-02 00:39

    Sad thing is that used trailers are going for almost as much as new ones…. At least from what I’ve seen in eastern Ohio. Before I would dump any money into it, list it for a price you feel comfortable and see if anyone bites on it.

  2. #2cfherrman2022-10-02 11:19

    Replace the jack and list it. Farmers hauling bales is a end of life activity for a trailer.

  3. #3Old Doug2022-10-02 11:32

    I have been looking at trailers alot. It would be tough to say what to do spend money and try to get more or sell. I need a goose neck trailer and have thought about buying a trailer like this and building a neck i have done it before but every one i see cheep needs $2000.00 worth of tires then another ?000.00 worth of floor.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-10-02 12:00

    Just wondering if refurbishing it would at least get a decent price instead of someone expecting to get it for 2 or $3000. I'd try to find some decent used tires if possible. Don't know why the margin wouldn't go over on this post?​

  5. #5Zewnten2022-10-02 14:55

    I know in my people want premo trailers for scrap prices. I purchased a trailer very similar to yours for the company, guy had painted it, put new tires on it, new lights, new deck, etc. We paid him $5000 for it after it sat for months with no interest. I sold my equipment deck over with new tires, new lights, and paint but a rough deck and it took a couple months to sell it for $3000. Putting money into a trailer is like renovating your house to sell, beyond paint it's not cost effective.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-10-02 21:41

    I know some guys at a trailer shop. I'll see what they think. I think they might sell it on consignment.