Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tandem gravel pup

Noose ยท 2008-05-15 00:48

Finally got my ducks in a row to pick up a pup and I found 6 in Alberta. The newest- an '83 The oldest and supriseingly the one in the best condition is an '77. Problem I just found out I will need a $15/yr. permit. It's now required on all trailers (in Alberta) older than '93. The reason is in '93 all Alberta manufactures were required (in Alberta) to build trailers with 8'6" axle widths and 20' draw bar hitches. The permit program begins this July 31/08. However in 2010 the gov't will diminish these trailers 1,000 kg annually until 2013 when they figure everyone will just give up on them. Is Alberta the only area this is happening?

Replies3
  1. #1Prairie Dog2008-05-15 08:20

    I haven't ever heard of that. I'm in Saskatchewan. I will have to check what their doing with that. Seems like a great way for the trailer manufacturers to sell a lot of new trailers.

  2. #2bobcatuser2008-05-15 11:36

    In BC the permit is $300 per year. The reason for de-certifying these trailers is because of rollover accidents with Tag trailers carrying wide loads. This is the reg. http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/C/CommerTrans/30_78/30_78.htm#section7.07

  3. #3Tacodriver2008-05-18 12:38

    If the pole on the trailer is long enough it wouldn't be to hard to get some wider axles off a newer trailer. The truck trader has frame clips from rolled van trailers in it all the time. Good luck.