Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tandem/Tri on Concrete Driveway?

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2012-03-13 16:14

I am curious if a tandem or Tri will cause cracks/problems in the typical concrete driveway? I am currently saving to upgrade from a S/A dump but a lot of the work I do is in residential areas so just trying to see if/how a larger dump truck will affect the work I currently do.

Replies12
  1. #1Dozerboy2012-03-13 20:34

    Yes. Fully loaded your still going to have just as much weight on each tire, but if there is a good stable sub grade it should be ok. Especially if they are steep and your unloading the other axles

  2. #2TCS2012-03-13 20:42

    6" of wire reinforced 3000lb mix on solid drained gravel has not cracked in 32 years with every loaded truck I own on it thousands of times,loaded trucks jacked on it hundreds of times and even my old TD25 on it many times. No problem.

  3. #3Autocar2012-03-13 20:42

    I poured concreat drive a number of years ago,its six inches thick with rebar and I drive my tri axle on it with a total weigh of 70,000 pounds. I have cracked the radius where it flars out where it meets the cty road. But other then that it has held up.

  4. #4CM19952012-03-13 20:47

    Tandem probably, tri pretty much every time. When you are dumping a loaded tri on a driveway or going over one, you will more than likely have your third lift axle raised, putting more weight on the tandems and front axle. Problem is a "typical" residential concrete driveway is anything but "typical". You have no way of ascertaining the pour thickness, subgrade condition, etc. I have seen many concrete drives 1 1/2" in one spot and 6" in another. This is due to pouring the drive over wet/poor subgrade and the finishers are too lazy to fix the ruts left by the redi-mix truck as they are pouring out. They pour right over the ruts and the displaced soil on either side of the ruts. The drive will hold up fine for years with light car traffic but put 50-80K lbs on it and the drive will show it's weaknesses.:cool2

  5. #5grandpa2012-03-13 20:51

    You can go straight on and straight off with no problems on a "normal" apron,,, but never attempt cornering on one unless your ready to buy one.

  6. #61toomanyhobbies2012-03-13 22:10

    This is exactly what I was thinking. I have seen on a job this past weekend where they were extending a section of driveway with 4 inches of concrete with no rebar. He wants a load of gravel delivered for the back of the house and I can only think of what a tandem full loaded will do. I wouldn't want to be the one to pay for it.

  7. #7coorecat2012-03-13 22:45

    It's gonna be hit or miss in my opinion.Depends if the driveway was poured right and has wire or rebar and what psi concrete was used I stole this idea from a local concrete company that delivered to me they had a release form you signed if you wanted them to go on a driveway or cross a curbing in residential areas.Might be an idea you can use just get a local print shop to make you some up.

  8. #8Impact2012-03-14 06:31

    I'd say most residential driveways will break up with anything heavier than a motorcycle. I agre with Cm1995. I'd get permission before ever driving a heavy truck over anyone's driveway. People doing residential don't know what reinforced concrete is.

  9. #9CM19952012-03-14 06:34

    That's a very good idea to have. 1toomany, have a release printed up that includes everything under the sun you can think of: driveways, landscaping, buried utilities, sprinkler systems, etc and have it signed by the owner that you are not responsible for damage to these items once you leave the ROW. It's pretty common form for concrete, dump and roll-off companies. It can be added as a waiver on your delivery ticket/invoice.

  10. #10Orchard Ex2012-03-17 21:06

    That was one of the best things I ever put in my contracts. Too many "Oh no, It's a very well built driveway" that turned out to be 1/2" of asphalt over wet clay.

  11. #11digger242j2012-03-17 22:01

    The "past curb line authorization" is a separate signature line, right on the slip, with the concrete company we usually use. Besides accepting responsibility for any damage, you also accept responsibility for getting their truck unstuck if need be....

  12. #12Scout_19692012-03-19 06:26

    X2 on the "past curb line authorization"