Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tarps for dump trucks

lgammon ยท 2011-10-18 14:45

we are looking into putting a tarp on our dump trucks, they are cracking down. where do you guys get them, or do you build them? what do we want or do not want? any info would help we never had one before.

Replies14
  1. #1muzy2011-10-18 15:09

    Too select a tarp you need to share what scope of work is perfomed. What do you haul, how far, type of truck and or trailer, load and unload aplecation. Here is one ei. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/10/11/sask-lloyd.html Hope that helps. muzy

  2. #2Orchard Ex2011-10-18 20:36

    Like muzy said it depends on what you're hauling. Mesh is good for general dirt/gravel operations and there are solid tarps for asphalt. Most all of the straight trucks here use the flip over style with a very few using the cable type tarps. The tractor trailer ag haulers use the side roll-up style. There is a tarp company near here that installs them or any body company should install them as well. I have put them on 6 wheelers before and it isn't rocket surgery but some patients and a good sense of humor helps on the first one. I have a Mountain Tarp on my Pete and it has done well. Don't be cheap and buy the hand crank ones. None of your guys will use it.

  3. #3Tiny2011-10-18 22:49

    We have bought parts and tarps from these guys http://www.zamzow-tarp.com/

  4. #4lgammon2011-10-18 22:59

    we mainly haul dirt and stone, but we have a few demo jobs and the landfill won't take you unless you are tarped. 16' r model mack dump. we probably will not tarp every thing just the demo stuff. we were thinking of a hand crank. wanting to keep the cost down unless it is close.

  5. #5Tiny2011-10-18 23:02

    only thing i'll say about the hand cranks , a strong set of return springs will spin the living day lights out of that crank if your not careful .

  6. #6muzy2011-10-18 23:21

    LOL I give a wrong link, . try this one http://www.cramarotarps.com/ muzy

  7. #7mitch5042011-10-19 03:03

    I make my own systems w/ Mountain Tarp parts. I use the handcrank gearhead, and usually the springs from them, and use local materials for everything else. I use exhaust pipe tubing for the arms, since you know it will get messed up anyway. The springs from M.T. are very good, but if you want a cheap route, garage door springs from Lowe's work ok, and are about $100 cheaper. Orchard, I'm lucky here in SC that all tickets are issued to the driver, so if they don't want to use the tarp, they can pay the $300. If the tarp is broken, and they tell me before they get stopped, I pay the ticket; but, if they just don't want to do 3 minutes of manual labor, they can pay it.

  8. #8tarpgirl2011-10-27 21:41

    I have to agree with what some have said on here, Mountain Tarp systems are good, but expensive. I prefer Mountain Tarp rather than Roll Rite or Shurco because they seem to stand up a little longer and the parts have a better guarantee. I recommend getting a crank motor as well. I use to work an older dump truck with a hand crank that ended up breaking my wrist one day because my hand slipped off the crank and it came back and hit me. I won't work a truck that has one of these again. As for the tarp, I've been making them stronger than any of the other companies out there and my price is about 10% cheaper.(shameless plug)

  9. #9Willis Bushogin2011-10-27 22:04

    tarp I use US Tarps, a complete electric system is around $700. I dont have the number with me, but Im sure you can google them Mountain Tarp and Donovan are good ones, but a little on the high side They are not hard to install, just follow instructions. It maybe a trial and error the first time. The thing to get correct, is the hinge point (pivot point for the tarp arms) If you get one, let us know and we will help you Thanks

  10. #10Joel.DeLaCruz2012-05-04 10:58

    They're cracking down out here too, it's mandatory to cover dump trucks or tractor trailers -_- I usually get my tarps from [url]www.tarpsplus.com [/url]. I've bought a couple different tarps from them, I think they are pretty reliable.

  11. #11DirtHauler2012-05-04 17:46

    Around here in the NW everyone seems to use http://www.pulltarps.com/ I have not used other brands, but i have been impressed with the operation and dependability of the electronic tarp system truck and trailer.

  12. #12Orgnoi12012-06-22 08:51

    What is everyone using for a rear keeper bar? I have a 1-ton with a Monroe dump on it... it has the hooks built in for the keeper bar but just unsure if theres something "better" than just getting a 3/4" piece of metal conduit and putting some fender washers on the ends... any help would be appreciated...

  13. #13Effinay2012-06-27 19:23

    The one that came with my6 wheeler is an electric model operated from the cab with a simple battery swich located on the L side of the driver seat. Also cuts down on "false" accusations of your load flying out of the body and scratching someones car. What you spend may be a wise investment in the long run. No excuse for not covering up.

  14. #14AM81020112012-07-29 19:23

    I switch from driving atruck with electric tarp to a tarp with hand crank, and ill say I tend to use the electric one way more. Plus I caught the hand crank in the face once when I was being sloppy and it left a good scar. So if i was to buy one id definetly go electric, less excuses not to use it.