Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tax time

oriden ยท 2009-03-13 23:42

hey all im filling my taxes at the moment and come upon the education section. i have entered my total education tuituion costs for my HEO school ($10600 cnd) i am 19 so im still in a low wage and a low tax bracket can i claim other things included with the going to school that i have bought that was needed? heres a short list of the bills that i still have: coveralls-$57 boots-$62 gloves-$27 gas-$ 348 oil change (and Filter)- $48 (was changed while in school) the tuition has already given me a nice return but why not take them for more right! thanks for any help boys.

Replies8
  1. #1lowey2009-03-14 01:29

    bit early to be doing tax isnt it end of financial year is june 30

  2. #2Turbo218352009-03-14 08:35

    Cant say about Canada. I do know that I was able to write off my HEO schooling, as well as any clothing used for work. But I also worked as a carpenter before school, and as an operator after school. My suggestion is see a tax professional. Ill finish this later today, I have some suggestions for you.

  3. #395zIV2009-03-14 09:20

    Like turbo said, I can't say for Canada, but here in the U.S. it's Dec 31st. My taxes are already done and i'm just waiting on my returns.

  4. #4oriden2009-03-14 11:45

    here taxes have to be done by the end of april. and turbo they allowed me to write off a large amount of the HEO school cost about $3212 cnd im now just looking to add to that if i can.

  5. #5Turbo218352009-03-14 11:53

    Alright, A few things you need to find out, this is why I saw contact an accountant. Here, any one in the trades can write off quit a few items on their taxes. The number one item i write off is my mileage. Since I do not work at a set location, unlike someone who works at an office, I can claim my miles driven. This is from home to the job. Keep a daily journal, with where you worked, and miles driven, I also include the hours i worked and what i did for my own records. Here you are also able to write off work related clothing. Such as boots, coveralls, gloves, and the like. You can also write off tools that you need because of work. You can usually use tools that you would keep at home, my accountant says they never check. Just things to consider. Like I say, contact a professional tax person.

  6. #6oriden2009-03-14 16:26

    ok will do thanks for the input!

  7. #7Reuben2009-03-14 17:41

    transportation costs.i think they give eleven cents a mile for that here in the usa.

  8. #8Turbo218352009-03-14 18:47

    Vehicle expenses this year before july were 40 cents per mile. After july, it was 48 cents a mile.