Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TB240 Takeuchi No start

Fordman ยท 2025-12-21 14:08

So I need to delete the Ritchie bros auction app from my phone but I gained another winter project. 2017 takeuchi TB240, 3500 Hours, and a thumb. Problem right now Is no crank. Auction said it needed to be jumped to start, so I assumed it needed a battery. Hot shot delivered, I got home a couple days later, went to give it a crank. Turned over really slow, assumed battery was dead. Put a battery charger overnight, still slow crank, finally it turned over slow and fired up. Did a load test on the battery, passed with flying colors. Pulled in Barn, and went to crank again, dead slow crank, turn key off and on several times, finally starter goes full speed and fires right up. I pull excavator outside and spent all day pressure washing every bit of it, went to start last night, nothing just a slight click of the starter relay, nothing from the starter. Today I pulled the seat out to get access to the starter, Full voltage to the primary cable at starter, and the exciter wire gets voltage when key is turned. On the exciter wire my power probe flashes Positive voltage, so maybe poor relay contact? So that leads me to believe its the starter itself. However a brand like takeuchi seems to make great starters that never really fail. And this starter seems to be in a area that would be a nightmare to pull. I made a video of what I am seeing right now. Any Guidance?

Replies4
  1. #1Fordman2025-12-21 16:46

    Ended up being the starter, exciter wire just draws a large amount of current no clicks or movement

  2. #2Simon C2025-12-21 19:01

    May be able to buy solenoid only, but no guarantee winding is not damaged on starter. Loks like couple bolts to remove. Simon C

  3. #3PeterG2025-12-22 13:06

    My TB240 seems to drain the battery even when sitting. If it mostly sits for a few months (Winter), then she cranks slow (doesn't need heat) and is hard to start even though it has a newer slowly discharging battery. I should leave a trickle charger on her, but I never do.

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-12-22 19:05

    Doesn't look like a Nippondenso starter but could have a similar issue. The copper contacts in the solenoid go black over time and don't make good electrical contact. Sanding them helps. I also added a relay to the starting circuit on my skid steer which takes less current to operate than going direct to solenoid. There were times when it would click 15 times before it finally engaged. Frustrating as hell especially if I shut the machine off on my MX track and people were coming to ride. Haven't had it click once after installing a $20cad. relay from Amazon. You could make your own relay set up though.