This past Sunday I purchased a small dozer (really small, a Struck) and he and I got talking about an issue he is having with his TD 25B it is a 72. He is an advanced backyarder with a lot of backyard. Around 50 acres and bought this machine to do a little yard work. The machine runs well and stays within operating temp parameters (as read by the dash gauges) until be starts to backblade something. As soon as that activity starts the torque converter heat heading for the roof. When he stops and runs it at high idle it comes right down to operating temp again. The machine does not build any other undue heat while traveling forward or pushing. It will travel in reverse without building heat. I have already suggested that not backblading would most likely be in his best interests. Does anybody have a suggestion regarding this issue? I am going see him again when I go pick the garden dozer up
That is strange ... Have a 1972 TD25C ..... If it's going to overheat will happen in July or August when the ambient temp is 95 F or above full throttle pushing ... Not back blading .
td25c, I was thinking the same thing. I thought the B models were the early to mid sixties but will have to look it up. I was also thinking some of the B model machines had diesel converters. I've heard that before from a couple of older wrenches when I started out. They were talking about one of them that always overheated in reverse and light load and they never got it figured out.
A quick guess I would say the reverse range clutch pack is slipping under the extra load of back blading. Pressure checks might show something. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ide do a quick and simple engine/torque stall test and see what the results are. Ide be real curious to know the comparison of stall speeds and temps with the machine stalling in forward and reverse while sitting there not pushing anything.
Yeah John , I was thinking the C model showed up around 1970 . Strange that it only overheats in reverse when back blading . What gear is the operator in when back blading ? 25 has 4 speeds forward and reverse . If in high gear I could see it heating up on a long drag ... Anyhow I would pull the floor plates & check the filter screen on the converter housing first ...
That brings back a few memories of barked up skin and standing on your head reefing on those hoses and bolts.
Good Morning! Thanks for all the replies! I am going up to see him this morning. We will see what we can see. Be back with with any results Thanks!