Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

td 340 diesel dozer with winch

davbell22602 ยท 2009-12-22 18:54

I have questions and I'll number them. please indicate what number your replying too. thanks 1)How much oil of the rotella 15-40 does this hold. How do I change it? Where is the drain plug at? 2)Does anybody have a service manual on this where I can download it? 3)Where is the manual release lever on the pto winch. Did international make the winch? thanks for the help in advance.

Replies30
  1. #1td25c2009-12-22 19:55

    Welcome to the forum davbell 22602.Never been around a IH 340 dozer.Looks like a good project.Should be a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan.Looks like it uses a cartrage type oil filter like my TD 15 & 25.Drain the old oil out in a bucket to get an idea of the amount needed.As for the winch,I dont think IH made one.We have a "Carco" brand winch on the td15 dozer.No manual release on my winch.It will "free spool" but it's turning all the gears in the winch,so not practical to try to pull out by hand.I lock the winch lever in reverse let the dozer idle and pull the cable off the drum by hand until I have enough to reach the job.

  2. #2davbell226022009-12-22 20:20

    Well the cable is looped around a tree and it rotting the tree. Too vehicles and such to try to push it back a foot with a 4x4 truck. Need a bucket truck to cut the tree down in small sections.

  3. #3td25c2009-12-22 20:38

    Will the 340 dozer start?

  4. #4JimInOz2009-12-22 21:00

    Hi Davbell, My service book says: Radiator 15 Qts, D-166 Engine 47HP.Service book doesn't give oil capacity. Your steering is planetary type,as opposed to clutches. IH often used Carco winches & others.Your winch looks like the one on a brochure.It says it's a single lever control. Both hydraulic & PTO driven winches were available,up to 12,000LB capacity. Many small crawlers had Gearmatic winches fitted...unsure if IH used them. Best site to visit is REDPOWER. 340s get a mention regularly.For manuals,Binder Books might be helpful,or Jensales . Jim

  5. #5brian falcone2009-12-22 21:00

    t-340 i have a gas t340 with the loader attacment. mine holds 5 quarts. your drain is under the oil pan. should be a hole in the belly plate to get at it. binder books sells copies of original owners manuals for your dozer. they have most of the service and break-down shop manuals too

  6. #6brian falcone2009-12-22 21:04

    also it appears that you have a td340-a theres a difference so make sure you get the manual for the a series tractor. i just bought mine and it was only 20 bucks.

  7. #7davbell226022009-12-22 21:14

    The service manual set is 200 buck from binderbooks I have steering clutches but they need repaired or cleaned out from clay. No it wont start right now. So is there a manual release lever to pull cable out by hand?

  8. #8davbell226022009-12-23 09:04

    another question Will a full size truck top post battery work on this dozer?

  9. #9brian falcone2009-12-23 21:31

    battery mine has a large deka battery.its just as big as the battery in my truck. , it fits fine under the seat. my owners manual was 20 bucks from binder. i know the shop manuals are more. mine came with the set from jansales.

  10. #10td25c2009-12-23 22:07

    How long has the 340 set davbell22602 sence it last ran?Possible engine trouble?

  11. #11davbell226022009-12-23 22:25

    few years, thats why I'm looking for a cheap way to service manuals for it. Probably right but cant be any worse than the trouble I went though on a 72 ford f100 360 carb 2bb.

  12. #12td25c2009-12-23 23:05

    Thats interesting davbell22602.On dead equipment I always try to bar the engine over by hand at first.Then I fill a plastic garden pump up sprayer with engine oil ,tap in to an oil gally ,& pump the oil in thrugh the oil gallys so the crankshaft & rods are well lubed.Remove the air filter so you can spray either in to the engine as the piston rings will most likley be stuck.Bring a new battery as you will be cranking awhile.Keep cranking it while spraying in the either ,It will finally start.Then watch the oil pressure on the guage .Good luck with the 340 dozer!

  13. #13hi-ball2009-12-24 02:38

    td25 good advice. A few things I would do first - #1 clean all the leaves & debri from the engine & controls #2 dig all the dirt out of the tracks & behind If you still are trying to drag it backwards you need to jack up the blade & set a couple sound logs, timbers,etc.... under the blade in line with the machine so you it will slide easier & if that machine has a dry steering brake the band sometimes will stick to the brake drum not allowing the machine to roll. The winch has what looks to have two hydralic lines running to it & is shaped like a hydralic winch probabably a gearmatic (should be stamped on winch) Good luck, Shane.

  14. #14davbell226022009-12-24 07:58

    Anybody has any servicing/cleaning info on the steering clutches. Its wont stay going straight. It wants to always to turn to the one direction. Its steered fine before using it around a dirt pile of clay.

  15. #15brian falcone2009-12-24 11:37

    steering if its pulling to one side then the steering needs adjustment. on each side of the rear end , just below the seat theres 2 square head bolts with lock nuts.back off the lock nut on the side its pulling and turn in the square head bolt while you hold the steering lever all the way back. turn it in a quater of a turn at a time.each time you turn it release the lever and check your free travel. turn untill you have 1 1/2 inches of free travel in the steering lever .or you could have a brake thats not releasing . that procedure is a bit more complicated to explain but fairly easy to do . the 20 dollar owners manual has all the adjustment procedures in it.

  16. #16davbell226022009-12-24 11:54

    the steering clutches worked fine after replacing some of them and then started having trouble using dozer on a pile dirt with clay. I was told theres clay jammed in or around the steering clutches and need to be cleaned out. Whats website for finding my nearest partsdealer for this? winchester, va

  17. #17brian falcone2009-12-25 14:00

    ? it should have planetary steering....unless its an early 500 model:beatsme.???? also its sealed up pretty well. im not sure how the clay could have gotten in there.unless it was buried and the stuff was liquid. im confused. its got to be out of adjustment.ive had mine in some pretty ugly places and ive never had anything get into the steering works.

  18. #18JimInOz2009-12-25 19:57

    I'm with Brian F,....I'm sure they have planetary steering. The front idler reminds me of an Oliver crawler. Here's a site that might help you: http://t340crawler.googlepages.com/home

  19. #19mmi2009-12-26 13:58

    Hi I have to assume you are the new owner of this machine,since you quote incorrect info from a previous owner. I have location directions/info for this machine,will try to search old computer winch: cargo :hydro don't believe freewheel offered especially after setting so long .??? clutch's shot otherwise attached to tree long enough to kill ???

  20. #20davbell226022009-12-26 14:15

    the steering clutches were new before steering problem accurred. Not many hours on new steering clutches. That why its been sitting.

  21. #21td25c2009-12-26 21:43

    Any luck getting the 340 started yet & blowing smoke davbell22602?

  22. #22davbell226022009-12-26 21:52

    nope, My means of transportation is down.

  23. #23davbell226022009-12-27 08:30

    plus the ignition switch caked up with rust on the inside(rusty lookin) and dont know where to get a replacement one with keys. I lost the key to it also.

  24. #24davbell226022009-12-29 13:44

    I talked to former owner of this dozer and he said somebody told him the clay would clogged up around the driveline. He noticed it after he climbed a pile of dirt with clay in it.

  25. #25bill onthehill2009-12-29 15:08

    That should be a very basic switch even if it has glow plugs. Should be able to pick one up at NAPA or a farm equipment dealer. Pull the old one and count the posts and make a sketch of what wires are on each terminal.

  26. #26davbell226022009-12-29 15:34

    I was told the switch is universal type. That should be able to get one from a auto parts or equipment parts place.

  27. #27mmi2009-12-31 12:13

    dave Have you ever heard this machine run since you owned it? before verizon screwed it up There was info in my old computer about this dozer

  28. #28davbell226022009-12-31 13:43

    No, I havent heard machine run. I know somebody else who used to use it before it was parked. He said it ran when it was parked cause the clay thing.

  29. #29mmi2010-01-02 23:15

    Some one is feeding you a pile of heuuwey Also the engine only needs power to the starter if it would run do you know anyone with a tractor engine cranker I will try to locate the old info,directions and such on old computer ,which did not add up then,or I would have atleast looked it over when passing thru 522 to 17

  30. #30davbell226022010-01-02 23:20

    dont follow what you mean on the last part.