I have a 1980 TD8 - E. I don't see any way to pre-heat glows. There is a throttle setting for "Cold Starts" and a dash button for "Either Injection", next to the starter button, but no glow heat. I'm wondering if there is any way I can install a glow heat system if one was not provided from the factory? And out of curiosity, does anyone know how the "Cold Start" Throttle position works? The last time I started it, it ran the battery down and I had to jump it while using starting fluid. I don't think this is good for it, as it took quite a bit of starting fluid to get it going. Can anyone recommend a good block heater? That might be the best way to go?? Thanks, Dan
td-8 Hi Dan the "cold start" throttle position changes the injection timing for an easier start. I think a block heater would be the best bet for really cold weather. Randy
Thanks Randy.. My mechanic didn't know that, it makes sense. I think you're right about a heater. Dan
I don't believe those old International engines ever had a preheat system. The cold start position used to be the only way those motors started. Unless they were warm they would not start any other way. There usually was an ether injection system. There were as I recall two buttons on the dash. One was the start button and the other fired an ether canister mounted in front of the dash panel. You got the engine turning in the start position and pushed the button. As soon as one of the cylinders fired you flipped the throttle up to the run position and hoped it caught on. I don't think I've looked at any of those old machines that didn't have a can of either stored in the jockey box in the left side console. Good Luck!
td-8 John C my td-8 wasn't that hard to start. Only had to use the cold start when it was in the fourties and lower. It would run in the cold start position albeit alittle rough. It did need ether when it was really cold. Randy
That usually means you got a good un.
The cold start position gives it more fuel rather than change the timming, early model Perkins engines had the same principal only it was a button on the side of the fuel pump that when pushed in gave it extra fuel for cold starts , soon as it was running it popped out. Out of the TD8E 9B 15B/C 20B/C/E & 25B/C, only the 9B had glow plugs for cold starts it had the D282 engine, all the rest were direct injection straight start.
If it's an International vs a Dresser does it have a DT239 engine or a Cummins? International started using some German Nuess engines in their equipment and the 239 may have been one Those engines were usually fuel misers and could rack up some incredible hours but they were harder to start in cool temps..........I would ask the ol boy, there will be a technique and you maybe holding your tongue to the wrong side.......
if you do get some kind of glow plugs in it, do no use either. bad fire. intake heater in piping might be an option.