Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td15b

jboettcher ยท 2007-02-14 14:39

I posted this on Red Power but thier system administrator did not accept it. The administrator's name is "Sallie" and that says it all. Local farmer has a TD15B for sale at $20,000. New undercarrage and finals. I have not looked at it yet as our weather is badddd! Is this a decent price if it's as good as advertized? My current equipment is a JD 555A crawler loader. The td15b is a straight blade. I'm thinking of selling the JD or he has even mentioned a trade. I'm very up to speed on my 555A with all manuels and have did all my own work. I know nothing on the td15b. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to spend that kind of money on something which was problem from the factory or hard to get parts for. My JD has had its problems but I can work on it and parts are not a problem. Thank You Myassitis from Missouri

Replies3
  1. #1alan627b2007-02-14 17:39

    You need to cruise on over to the IH bulletin board at Red Power magazine. http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php You have to register to use it, but it's just to keep the idiots out. You'll be in good company there. Hope this helps, alan627b

  2. #2OzDozer2007-02-14 19:20

    Stick with the Green .. the TD15B is a POS in comparison. They have two engines, the early one is a 361 cu in, from memory .. the later engine, I think, is a 407 cu in. The 361 is a regular hand grenade, the 407 is only a little better. If the TD15B is P/S, it does not have a modulating clutch in the transmission .. meaning, if you do not throttle back to an idle, the transmission whiplash snaps .. a. - your neck .. b. - the jackshaft between the torque converter and the tranny. They are a money pit, that will keep you poor. Any contractors in my area, in the late 1960's and early 1970's, that owned TD15B's .. went broke, from the amount of downtime they had with them. IH build quality was also an issue at that time. I knew a guy who found a conrod out of his blown-up 361, with an air-bubble in the forging. We had some in the Aussie Army in 'Nam .. and they were perpetually breaking down. We even got two beat-up TD15's, GIVEN to us, by the Americans up the road, for spares, so we could try and keep ours running. They are difficult to get spares for, and expensive when you can find them. A TD15B is the last machine on the planet I'd buy, if I won lotto tomorrow .. just my .02c worth.

  3. #3Deas Plant2007-02-17 01:59

    Geez, OzDozer Doesn't Like'em. Hi, jboettcher. Whooooo!!!!! I sorta git ther impresshun that OzDozer above doesn't like IH TD15B's. Well, I have to agree with him - and not just 'cos he's a nice bloke even though he breaks Cat D7 3T gear shift levers (And repairs them almost like new again.). He also happens to be right on this one (As usual.). Like OzDozer, I've yet to meet a contractor who had any luck with these piles of junk from IH. IH did make worse - look at the ill-fated TD30's - but BOY!!!! they had to work at it. If you really have to go bigger than your current JD555 and the TD15B would be your chosen size, look at a Cat D6C/D. They are a FAR better machine.