Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD15C not wanting to move when shifter is moved.

duramax2004 ยท 2025-09-14 21:10

I have a TD15C that has done great over the last few days. I've building a new pond and was pushing dirt across the dam to build it up. The load was about spread and then it's like you shifted to neutral. I thought I had accidently hit the shifter. Now it won't move or engage in any shift configuration, including the high/low. I had put brand new fluid in the transmission a few months ago. I used 10 weight that was recommended by Komatasu. The suction filter had some fuzz like stuff in it, and I cleaned it. Replaced the other and still won't move. Transmission fluid is exact on the full mark. My father said when he got it five years ago it was leaking fluid from the shifter actuator, and he placed the seals in it. He's 91 years old so memory is not too good. He mentioned a ball bearing and spring that in that he had trouble reinstalling and is questioning that it might have something to do with the issue. Has anyone ever had problems with these that might cause an issue like this? The PTO spins like it should but does not make any changes when moving the shift lever. I rebuilt the engine in this one not long ago and I sure hate to scrap it. I have another old TD15C that I can take parts from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to drag it off the dam somehow if I can't get it going. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Simon C2025-09-14 22:50

    You will need to check charge pressure to start with. Is the oil level high and not leaked into another compartment. Need to start with some pressure tests foresure. Maybe someone who has worked on it will chime in. Were some of these made by Komatsu. Seem to recall reading something about it. Simon C

  2. #2bam19682025-09-15 01:02

    I think the TD15C was before Komatsu got involved. I had one quite a few years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy. When mine would hesitate between shifts I would first look at the oil suction side of the transmission. Basically any short pieces of hose with hose clamps that were used to connect the larger pipes together. It only happened a couple of times but they would suck a little air and that would make the trans hesitate between shifts esp when it was cold outside. I don't think that is your problem unless one of those hoses blew. If that happened you would have a pretty big leak. I agree with Simon C you need to check pressures. Mine had a trans pressure gauge on the dash that I think was piped down to the trans filter housing under the floor board. Like I said it has been quite a few years and memory is pretty fuzzy. I would prob look into that shifter valve first. If it was just some fuzz on the magnet that wouldn't bother me. That is pretty normal.

  3. #3duramax20042025-09-16 21:54

    I've read several folks mentioning a problem with the lube valve on the top of the transmission. They mentioned a spring that could be broke or the valve is stuck open. Do you think this could possibly cause this problem? I'm going to find me a gauge and check the pressure too. The gauge on the dash is in bad shape and not very readable. Appreciate your advice.

  4. #4Check Break2025-09-20 17:29

    Your transmission was manufactured by Funk. Worse case scenario you have to pull it and have it rebuilt. Not a reason to scrap the machine. A friend of mine cut my house pad with one in 1988. Lost the transmission in the middle of the pad. He pulled it and went through it himself and was up and running in a few days. They're significantly more simple than a Cat powershift.