Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD20C Oil cooler

illinoisboy ยท 2013-06-02 23:47

My oil cooler is shot on the TD20, i can get a replacement for a grand from the dealer,, seems high though,, as dealers usually do... does anyone know a place that might have those? i have searched the net, and not had much luck,, it has small copper tubes, about the size of a straw, and it seems one tube leaked before and the plugged it up.. That plug came out, and i dont want to band aid fix it again. I had JUST changed the oil on it, loaded it on the lowboy, moved it to the job, and unloaded it. 7 gallons of oil wasted:Banghead

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2013-06-03 00:09

    The worst oil coolers I've seen have all been rusted out steel. Not much you can do with that except replace it, but I'd be glad to try to fix one with an actual copper tube. Just clean it up and solder it shut, right? Or is the copper so thin there's nothing left?

  2. #2illinoisboy2013-06-03 00:31

    well... its thin enough to have been patched or fixed once before,,, but it is only one tube, out of about 50. They look in good shape, but checking all avenues... sad thing is, we just unloaded it to start a pond, and now we are behind schedule..

  3. #3td25c2013-06-03 00:45

    Had that happen on my td 25 dozer only it was the hydraulic oil cooler.I just solderd up the bad tube and went on.Might try radac for a new core www.cuprobraze.com/pdf/CuproBraze_35.pdf

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-06-03 03:36

    Yair . . . illinoisboy I too think it's worth a shot to solder it off . . . the fact that a previously plugged tube lost its plug and is causing the problem again is encouraging, it could be just the one faulty tube. No way would I consider a cooler or a radiator with a few soldered up tubes as a "Band-Aid" fix . . . in marine applications I have even re-tubed heat exchangers at less cost than buying a new one. Cheers.