Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD8e start switch problem

Edc · 2023-04-16 06:20

Hello everyone, I just replaced the engine in my td8e. After I connected all of the cables to the starter, alternator and solenoid I went to start and nothing happened. The main switch works. There is power coming from battery to starter and to alternator. I connected a cable from alternator input cable from battery to solenoid and starter switch worked. I managed to start engine. Should there be a cable going into the starter switch with power? If so, where is this cable coming from? Also, the batteries are not charging and there is not reading on Volt gauge on dashboard. I noticed there are 3 cables coming out of the alternator. 1 cable is from the battery and 2 other cables which I have no idea where they go. Thank you for your help.

Replies6
  1. #1Acecadet2023-04-16 19:23

    The original alternator on the early Td8e was a delco DN alternator. This is an externally regulated alternator. There is a regulator under the hood on the firewall. I switched my alternator out for a newer 10SI internally regulated alternator. Not one of those battery draining one wire ones either. I got the exciter voltage from the oil pressure switch under the gauge panel. Here is the wiring for the Td8e. It takes a bit to decipher it but I managed.

  2. #2Edc2023-04-17 03:23

    Very nice! Thanks for the diagram it is very helpful. I am not very savvy when it comes to electronics so I don't have the time right now to try to figure out how to replace the alternator with a different model. I might try later on. -I am assuming that you already open the dashboard so can you tell me are all of the fuses shown in the diagram inside the dashboard? If so, what kind of fuses are they? -I noticed in the diagram that there is a cable coming from the alternator to a fuse and then the start switch is connected to that cable somehow. I think that fuse might be my problem. -when I was connecting both of the batteries the positive cable slipped and hit the track and made a big spark. I am thinking may be that blew the fuse and or the alternator. Thanks again for the info...

  3. #3Acecadet2023-04-17 05:38

    Number 58 is the only fuse I know of. It is just for the lights. My fuse holder was junk so I replaced it with a resettable circuit breaker.

  4. #4Edc2023-06-17 07:33

    Hello Acecadet, Quick question: do you know if the exciter cable has to be connected at all for the alternator to work? If so, do you know if I can connect this exciter cable directly to the battery?

  5. #5Acecadet2023-06-17 08:45

    Yes the excite wire needs to be connected to sense voltage. If you hook it direct to the battery it will slowly kill the battery when the unit is not running. That is why I hooked mine up to the oil pressure switch. When it’s running it sends power to the alternator to start charging. No key switch required.

  6. #6Edc2023-06-17 09:18

    Perfect! Thanks so much again