Hello everyone, I just bought a 1981 IH Dresser TD8E dozer and I whish someone could give me advice as to where to look for my problem. In first gear, the dozer pushes hard and works perfectly front and reverse but when putting in 2 or 3 gear it does not move either front nor reverse. Of course, Oil level in main tank is good. All other hydraulics work perfectly. Anyone have any idea ? Very much appreciated
The main Hyd tank on the side is just for the Hyd system(blade). If I can remember there is a Trans dip stick under the floor boards or maybe the seat. That will be for the torque converter and trans. Your problem could be a lot of things,from burnt clutches to spool valve. Are you showing pressure on the trans gauge? Tom
You are right catskinner 10, there is the dipstick under the seat and oil level is good. All filters have been changed. Yes I think the pressure shows but I will double check if it is the transmission gage or hydraulic gare
Does the transmission oil smell burnt?
Hello, sorry have been working alot up north in the woods. No the trans oil is clean and normal. I did make a few tests. When in any gear, the clutch pressure shows very good on the gage and when changing gear the gage will drop for 1 or 2 seconds and comes right back up, like it should do. When engaged in first gear, weither it be forward or reverse, the driving shaft stops turning until engine is raised and there it goes. But in second and third, the driving shaft fully turns just like when it is in neutral. By the way, I have the short version trans with the (approx) 15 inches driving shaft.
You have lost a clutch pack or shaft seals for fluid flow to those clutches. Simplest check is to see what the actual pressures are at the delivery ports for those clutches when engage.
Hi DMiller, thank you very much for the tip. May I ask, the delivery ports do you mean directly on the gear shifter ? Thanks avain
I would check the service manual for tie in points, many machines have rifling access ports to tag in a gauge or gauge package and see what is going on with all mechanisms aligned for use.
I think I recall there are pipe plugs on top of the valve on the top of the transmission where you can plumb a gauge into to check the individual packs. I don't recall if gears 2 and 3 were on a common shaft on those transmissions. Usually though when the hook rings seals were leaking by the unit would drop into gear and then when under load the drive line would turn slowly as the clutches slipped under load. This almost sounds like a spool in the control valve is stuck or maybe a spring in there is broken.