Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Technical Clothing, do you wear it, have you heard of it, did you know it exists?

SeaMac ยท 2012-06-14 17:14

This thread has nothing to do with Heavy Equipment but everything to do with those who operate 'em. It goes without saying that most of our careers we work directly under the Sun and the sun hath no mercy on our skin. You do it long enough and you run the risk of developing skin cancer, that little spot you only just recognized and it keeps getting bigger. Left without treatment skin cancer can and will kill you, it is one of the most common forms of cancer, the most treatable and takes way too many lives each year. Most of us also spend a great deal of time outdoors when we're not working and "Big Red" is still there overhead and still showing no mercy. I found out all about skin cancer 13 years ago and had it not been for a very persistent Girlfriend things could have turned out differently. I sucked-it-up went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma on my left forearm. Two weeks later and after an hour visit to a very good plastic surgeon I was given what they call a safe margin, he removed an area large enough around my "spot" to say all would be swell down the road. The surgeon and I began talking about my work and hobbies, construction all my life and an avid outdoorsman especially fishing. He informed me that I need to use sunblock at all times, period. I told him, I had used it in the past and it was like glue, any dust dirt and so on was attracted to me like a magnet and once it found me it stayed stuck on me. He then told me about an alternative, Sun-Protection-Factor (SPF) clothing, I had never heard of it but now my closet is full of it. I have shirts, t-shirts, pants, hats and outerwear, you name it I have it. It used to be expensive but now with so many garment manufacturers the prices are finally coming within reason so everyone can afford it. The neat thing about this clothing, it's cool to wear and dries very quickly if you sweat alot. They make it up to SPF 50 and it is absolutely worth every penny if you work outside. The latest technology is insect resistant on top of SPF, some sort of nano technology that makes it happen. So now Big Red can't get you and neither can the mosquitos or other bothersome insects. I cannot attest to the insect resistant clothing as of yet but down here in South Florida we have enough noseeums, skeeters, gnats, winged teeth and stingers that I will be trying some out as soon as they are available in my market. Put this way, if you can work outside in the heat and humidity more comfortably knowing the Sun won't damage you and insects won't pester you, wouldn't you think it worth the extra money? We do as a rule spend a great deal on work boots because we know the difference it makes at the end of the day, why not pay the same attention to clothing and not have to worry about other issues at the end of our careers? Just thought I'd share this and I apologize for the long read...

Replies9
  1. #1Scrub Puller2012-06-15 03:15

    Yair . . . Very interesting SeaMac . . . and no need to apologise for the long read on my behalf. I have never heard of SPF clothing and it should be of interest to every one who works outdoors. It's too late for me I'm afraid and have an ongoing problem with Basal and Squamous cell carcinoma's . . . partialy laid up at the moment actualy with an excision that took about sixteen stitches on the inside of my knee. I have always worked with machinery or boats north of Capricorn(in shorts and sleeveless shirts) and now I pay the price. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

  2. #2lonkinggroup2012-06-15 04:35

    Very impressive, but i have to say it is the first time i heard about the technical clothing. And thanks for sharing.

  3. #3r_steven2012-06-15 04:54

    It's quite common over here, most clothing (school uniforms and work clothes) all have a SPF50+ rating. I hope I read ur post correctly!

  4. #4SeaMac2012-06-15 14:55

    That's ironic Lonkinggroup, Since most of the SPF clothing is made in china, I would have thought over there it gets worn a lot. Oh well...

  5. #5SeaMac2012-06-15 14:58

    Hi r_steven, I have read that SPF clothing is common over there, I believe I read that your version of our OSHA requires employers to provide SPF clothing for those who work outdoors like our OSHA requires employers to provide PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to employees over here. I guess the US thinks the Sun here isn't as sunny as over there, then again the US Govt. is run by morons.

  6. #6SeaMac2012-06-15 15:00

    Yikes Scrub Puller, I hope you've got competent health care and you're doing well with your skin cancer and treatment.

  7. #7SeaMac2012-06-15 15:04

    Just to add to this thread in general, if you can't locate or cannot afford SPF clothing definitely use sunblock. My advice when it comes to sunblock is use only non-toxic all natural products. Most sunblocks have a petroleum base and petroleum in any form is poison to the human body. Other's would like you to believe differently but it is fact not fiction that petroleum is poison and over the long term will create even worse problems for you than skin cancer alone.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2012-06-17 12:57

    I had never heard of it befopre, but now I have, I will be looking into it. Thanks Seamac

  9. #9SeaMac2012-06-17 13:01

    I'm happy to help, Here are a few brand names: Columbia, Hook & Tackle and my favorite for work Natural Gear which I purchase at Sam's Club for about $20 per shirt and always in long sleave. It doesn't pay to do nothing and costs little to do something and the dividends are their own reward.