I recently bought a 1997 Ford Super Duty truck equipped with a Telsta boom. It is working good now but I have no manuals and no experience with this type of equipment. The only marking I can find on the boom is simply the word "Telsta." There is a label on the lifting mechanism that gives torque specifications for bolts and in small letters at the bottom of the label - "T-0068." It has an Azimuth gearbox with some instructions and the number, "T-0024." I need manuals, advice, anything anyone can tell me would be great.
Single telescopic boom, articulated telescopic boom? A picture may help. There aren't that many telsta models. On some models the data tag is mounted right behind the drivers window. Once you find out what model it is you can contact Altec Neuco for a manual as they own the remains of telsta.
Woohoo! Thank you brooksadsit! It was dark out when I read your reply so I got my flashlight and went out to see. Sure enough, there is a metal plate (very legible) and a label (probably illegible - will try tomorrow). Anyway the metal label has the model number (A28D) and I believe SN. Will need better light and do some crawling around to make sure I have good line of sight. I had to google single and telescopic - I'm too old to be this ignorant but I guess there is no age limit to ignorance. Think I have found a location where I can get the manual(s) as well. This also thanks to your reply.
OK I thought you probably had an A28D, that's just a basic telescopic lift. Pretty simple machine. I would definitely look into getting the operators manual as the manual is considered part of an aerial lift and is supposed to be present on the machine at all times. Telsta units were often built with a manual rack in the rear curbside compartment where the lower controls are located. I hope that helps.
Found it! I dunno if I feel more like Columbo or the kid who just found the prize Easter egg. It is a xeroxed copy of the operator's manual and service & parts manual in a binder. It was under the driver's side seat. Many thanks for all the help! If anyone needs a copy, I'll begin scanning it in. It will take several days as there are a lot of pages and I have very little free time.
Haven't found any cracks in any of the hoses but the metal at some of the connections has rusted. Can I use silicone grease to preserve the hoses and also rub it on the metal connections? If so, can you recommend a brand?
From reading the manual it appears the azimuth drive gears and the azimuth drive are two different animals and require different lubrication. The drive uses a spray lubricant and is supposed to be checked every six months. I can see it and not worried about it right now. The gears lubricant is oil and needs to be checked every three months. Trouble is I can't find where to check or put the oil in. The manual is no help. There is only one drawing that shows the location and that is of the turret with a small arrow pointing in a general location and labeled "azimuth drive grears."
That's the rotation gearbox, I believe there is a very small level plug on the inside of the turret. I don't remember where you fill it. Maybe you just take the top cover off the gearbox.
Once again you have pointed me in the right direction. At least it appears that way from what I can see. Think of an inverted "T." The rotation gear is about a foot in diameter and you can see it by taking off the fiberglass (or some similar material) cover. That is the horizontal part of the "T." Above that is a housing and at the top of the housing is a plate bolted on. Thing is, I can't see much of the housing and none of the plate without raising the boom. I'm hesitant to raise the boom and cut the power on the generator and start removing those plate bolts for a couple reasons. The bolts are not mentioned in the manual so I'm thinking there are no torquing requirement but I sure would like to have your opinion. The other reason is the manual for the generator says not to start the generator under a load. But of course I don't want to be working on the gearbox with the generator running. I'm thinking I can raise the boom high enough for me to get to the box, extend the boom and put a timber under the bucket end of it. Then cut the power. What do you think?
There should be no fear of shutting the generator down with the bucket in the air. With the bucket raised there is no load on the pump. Also just for your information all cylinders on an aerial lift are required to have holding valves built into the cylinder, in order to hold a load. So to check the level in your gearbox I would raise the boom ask the way up in the air, you can kill the engine if you want, then I believe the level plug is located on innermost side. I'd only remove the cover if it's low, since I'd be worried about breaking those bolts off. Now if you had to remove the gearbox you would have to be more creative, as you would have to secure the boom from rotating, however I don't think it will come to that. Torque specs for the cover bolts would just be standard dry torque for those fasteners, I can't remember if they are 1/4 or 5/16 but you can easily look up the torque, but it's not critical. Back to your generator, a lot of those units had the ability to start and stop the generator from the basket, to save fuel and reduce noise. Feel free to continue to ask questions, I'm happy to help and keep you safe.
I did exactly what you suggested and it worked fine. With the boom raised, there was a clear view. On the side of the gearbox was something I'm guessing was originally a sight glass but had been plugged. On the top of the housing however, just a inch or so inside the perimeter cover bolts, was a smaller bolt. It was a plug also and when removed it I could measure down to the fluid level. Best I could measure the fluid level just split the plug on the side of the housing. Many thanks for all your help! You have been great!
Did you end up scanning manual would love a copy. We just bout truck with telsta 28D needed a lot of work finally got Onan running now can’t figure out how to engage boom. It’s getting power to the box any idea?
Did you ever get chance to scan the manual in ? Would you mind sharing it .Email me at [email protected] . Thanks Ed
Please send copy of manual if scanned to ahobbs02.ah @gmail.com
If you managed to get that scanned in, or if anyone else did... Please email me a copy to [email protected] . I'll get it shared with the world... Seems like these things are hard to come by online!
If anyone did scanned in..... Please email me a copy to [email protected] . Please I really need the manual to check some points of maintance. Thank you. I will appreciate your help guys!!
Did anyone get a copy they could share? Just bought a boom truck a few weeks ago.
I need a copy as well!
What is your email ?
[email protected]
I just bought a telsta 28D on a Chevy 3500 and I would love to have a manual. My email is [email protected] .. many thanks in advance
Manual emailed to you.
Does anyone still have the parts manual and service manual on email for the 1997 Ford telsta a28d bucket truck?
My email is wallace.lab809@ yahoo.com
On the way to you Brain .
Thanks. I'll check my email
Could you please send me a copy. It would be much appreciated! [email protected]
I am hoping, there are others in here so I can try to get a little help. I bought a 1990 ford F600 diesel with a Telsta A28D, its a deicer from the Altanta Airport, only has 9800 miles on it being it never left the airport when bought new, and the lift only has about 110 hours on it being it does not ice up much in atlanta ga. so it just set there and baked, but protected because other than bucket itself everything else is inside the boxtruck.below the bucket. Plus it's powered up by a diesel 4cyl Suzuki generator. But I have no manuals at all, could use some help if someone could email me them please. to [email protected] . Look forward to your response. Thanks Mac
I too recently purchased same truck, the previous owner stated the motor to the truck did not need to be running to operate the bucket. Is this true? other wise "generator" that runs bucket kills the battery on the truck. Can you confirm one way or the other. Of course no manual either.
i would love a copy if possible.
could you send one to [email protected] . thank you in advance
Manual emailed to you .