Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex 24b load runners compared to the other competition

fiat41b ยท 2013-12-29 15:29

Seen a few in nice looking condition sitting on a big job last year how well do these things do compared to their other models like the ts18's that I happen to have I know they are bigger, but I don't know that much about them the tires look wide and taller and they are rated at 24 stuck and 32 heaped an ts18 is 18 struck and 24 heaped. My 18's do not have the push pulls set up on them anymore but those 24's did I would have liked to have seen them in action a lot of earth was moved on that job. I did not see any farm tractor types pulling any pans either would have been nice to compare performance between the old way and what seems to be the going way today. 24'S are rated over 700 hp cant remember what a 637 is rated at hp wise but its got to be up there. anyone ever run a ts24 load runner here in the Midwest.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies26
  1. #1nicky 68a2013-12-30 12:23

    The British built TS24B's we have in the UK were a very popular scraper.They were good in bad muck and cheap to replace the parts.You need a good fitter with them and every big contractor had them.These days they are worthless on our shores and only Cat scrapers remain.The TS24B loadrunners seem to be totally different and I never saw one here.Closest was the TS24C but they weren't popular.Our TS24B's B10 series were powered by two Detroit V8's at 300hp each I think.I also operated 'Yankie B9 series pushpulls that were powered by Detroit V12's up front and straight 6's in the boot.The Loadrunners I saw abroad were powered by V12's front and V8's back.I guess around 700 horses as you mentioned in your post.

  2. #2D6 Merv2013-12-31 09:01

    What was the story with the English TS24s with the cummins engines Nicky ??? Some made it down under and I think ??? had NTE 335 up front and NTE310 in rear. "E" was the English cummins version. cheers from the kiwis merv

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2013-12-31 15:38

    The TS-24B's were good scrapers, when they were running. It seemed to be a bit harder to keep them that way that a Cat. The B model Loadrunner has a 12V-71T Detroit in the front, I think 450 or 475 Horse, and a 6V-71T in the back at 250 or 275 horse. The transmissions are Allison, with a 6 speed front and a 4 speed rear. Later C models upgraded the rear to a 8V-71 and a 6 speed trans. They have suspension axles in the front with nitrogen struts like a rock truck. The ride is much better than the old stiff hitch versions. The tires are larger, 37.5 x 33, unlike the old ones with 33.5 x 33's. When running, they will run load per load with a Cat 637 D or E, and they are rated 3 cy larger per load. Here are a couple at work a few years ago.

  4. #4Mjrdude12013-12-31 16:31

    We used to have a few of the 24B's, when they ran they hauled ass and moved a lot of dirt... when they ran. Biggest problem we had with them was wiring issues, that and they were pretty well used up when we got them.

  5. #5RZucker2013-12-31 21:33

    I never got to run a 24B, But I had a lot of experience with the last of the original TS24s with the V12 in the front and 6-71 inline in the rear. I loved those machines, simple and tough. And up against a 637? yeah, right. I got to run against a 637D? once, 435,000$ dealer rebuild, It wasnt pretty for the yellow thing. But the dealer guys told me if it had a push/pull buddy I would be in trouble.

  6. #6Kiwi Craig2013-12-31 23:24

    I ran English(should be Scottish actually)TS24B's on the earthworks and site prep for the Torness Nuclear Power Station in Scotland in 1979/80. Tractor Shovels of Edinburgh had 12 of them,plus 2 A's that they had traded in then hired back again for the job. They had 2 8V 71's with 6 speed Allison trannies. They performed really well and didnt give much trouble, but they were near new.We had to strip 1m cu m to open the on-site quarry of the 1.7m cu m total shifted. Were push loaded with Komatsu D355's. The 2 old ones had no mufflers on the rear motors, just 2 straight pipes about 6ins out of the bonnet. What a bloody noise!!!

  7. #7Meangreen2014-01-01 09:54

    In the early 80's I watched two TS-24B loadrunners running on the same job as Three CAT 637C's. The TEREX TS-24B's averaged 3 loads to the CAT 637C's 2 loads. All were self loading in red clay and in just about as perfect conditions as you ever get. I always wanted a TS-24B Loadrunner but a small contractor has no business with such a machine. I stuck with the old tried and true TS-14's. The TS-14's may not be fancy race horses but they were damn good old plow mules.

  8. #8fiat41b2014-01-08 19:14

    ts24b I was wondering if I purchases a couple ts24b's Questions: I just bid a job the other day and was wondering 1. How much yardage do you think two 24b load runners with push pull bail and hooks could move working together on stripping 1.5 to 2 .0 feet deep of topsoil and hauling to a stock pile that's 2000 feet away in 10hrs shifts. 2. Will these 24b load runners will go ok in the midwest I just have to strip the topsoil lots of topsoil so should be running on the first layer of clay 3. I have a fleet of ts18's they are not push pulls used to be but they have no bails on the fronts any more they load nicely alone but even faster with an D8r pusher I don't know how to compare them against 24b's other than they are smaller how many 18's to equal 2 24b's push pulls in 10 hr shift.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2014-01-09 14:40

    I do not know your material, or the underfoot conditions, but if you can keep a road under them a pair of 24B's should move around 5,000 BCY in a 10 hour shift. Many things will affect the real total, but there is a good starting point. The 24B's with suspension should run around the 18's with no problem, as long as you can keep them running. I would always have 3 to run 2, 6 to run 4, etc..., and sometimes it was still not enough. If you get them and need parts or tires, shoot me a message and I may be able to help. Good luck

  10. #10nicky 68a2014-01-11 12:55

    HI Merv,The TS24's that I saw with the Cummins engines were TS24A's I think.Straight 6's.Ugly things that (I think) would be B4 LOT.

  11. #11tctractors2014-01-11 15:30

    The U.K. 24A's had Shotts built 855 small cam motors, it was a way of using home grown engines (U.K. Built) working in the U.K.

  12. #12nicky 68a2014-01-12 06:39

    some yanky B9 series 24A's I drove a few times over the years.V12 GM front,Straight GM6 in back.Taken in 1989 you can just see a 24A Cummins powered B4 (open tourer!).I last pushed these in 2001 and they are still ready for work

  13. #13nicky 68a2014-01-12 06:44

    very first scraper I ever drove was this 1981 model TS24B B10 series(lot) twin GM V8's.taken in 1988 I was 15 years of age on jire to McAlpines.Should have been at school I suppose!

  14. #14Meangreen2014-01-12 18:01

    I guess I may be the oldest one here then. The first TS-24 I ever ran had a 6-110 up front and a 671 in the back. Had 3 forward speeds and I think 3 reverse speeds shifted by micro switches. Had the cable lip and the dump was hinged like the TS-14s. ETA: Front trans shifted by cable and the rear was electric shift.

  15. #15S.Coleman2014-01-19 02:36

    I used to operate the old Higgins Earthmoving companies No.60, S-24 back when I lived on New Zealand, Harliwich Earthmovers brought it off Higgins at the end of the Waitaki project. If I can remember it was a V-12 Detroit diesel single and I think it ran about 500hp. It was a good scraper, used a lot of oil and some cranking to start her.

  16. #16Aussie John2014-01-19 07:34

    The S24s that Higgins ran were powered by the 12v71T engine and were painted yellow with straight chrome exhausts. looked mighty smart and always well looked after. I had a short drive of one of their first ones early 1972 when Twizel was starting off. My first drive of a scraper. Later on, worked for Burnetts for a while as a fitter and spent some time as a relief operator on the new Lake Pukaki road. Although the V12s sounded great, they certainly did not help the hearing!

  17. #17fiat41b2014-01-27 20:37

    Do the cabs on the 24b load runners have the rops structure built into them like the ones in the photo of JDOFMEMI Where I have to work they have to have certified rops from factory.

  18. #18JDOFMEMI2014-01-27 23:41

    All of the 24B's I have seen have certified ROPS. Some of the old style pre B models had soft tops, but that seems to have been phased out by the time the B's were built.

  19. #19fiat41b2014-01-28 01:01

    OK thanks I might end up looking at two a guys has for sale hes has all the windows doors bails and hooks and a semi load of spares also tires they just got off a million yd job they ran 6 of them has two left he says they were the best ones the pictures don't look to bad big side boards I told him if I did not buy them I might consider the bails that go on the front, some of my 18's had them and still have the rear hooks and the front plate don't know if they can be made to work or not though. The only thing I have going for me with my scrapers are they are paid for some have new rebuilt drivelines .

  20. #20powershifter2014-02-22 01:08

    You always knew if you were on the "outer" or had upset someone if you were told to get onto one of the 2 TS24 Load runners we had, it was the punishment machine, ( normally we were only ever to have one going at one time but on the odd occasion when they were both up & running they were something else... The so called "ride axle system was non existent and we'd give anything for a cushion hitch but many a time I remember rounding up both 37's & 57"s coming up out of the cut and the only real down side was like someone has already said, "The screaming V12 GM up front did tend to turn you deaf after a while???... both were B models and one of them was last seen up at the Hymix quarry at Kulnura but that was a while ago now... Talking about Terex scoops however, I did a couple of days for a bloke on a TS14, a fairly late model tractor at the time and it was without a doubt the biggest piece of rubbish I have ever moved dirt with, "or tried to at least!" No way known could I get a decent load on the thing no matter what I did and apart from stripping grass & topsoil I think there a waste of fuel???...

  21. #21Terexisking2014-09-10 00:02

    We had 30 Ts-24 B or C , Most re powered with N-14 cummins. The only 637 that came close to their production was a 637G. 637 E's would be the last out of the yard. But by 5000 hours the cat was out of warranty and had to stay on multi scraper sites because they could not self load .

  22. #22scraper tyre2014-12-16 03:49

    Would you know where I can purchase a drop box for TS24B loadrunner? Allison CBT750DB transmission. running a 6V71 rear. Thanks.

  23. #23scraper tyre2014-12-16 03:53

    I have one of Higgins S24s in my yard.Running two TS24B's loadrunners. Wanting a drop box for rear drive if you can help.6V71 through an Allison CBT750DB. Thanks.

  24. #24JDOFMEMI2014-12-20 16:42

    I sent a PM to you from the other thread. Hopefully that helps.

  25. #25I AM IRONMAN2015-01-01 18:20

    How to load a Terex TS24B Scaper I think I might have one, I sent you a private message. I would need to know more info. But just for the fun of it, I sent some links to trucks loading them. The two that were getting loaded were TS24B's that had the rear engine and transmissions removed. Making them S24B's. I was told that they could weigh between 95,000 lbs for a standard S24B (according to the Operator Manual) to 140,000 lbs (according to the scales in the Red truck in the video) He ended up unchaining and unloading and leaving town for his home office....pussy! He didn't know how to read his new scales, however he wouldn't take five minutes and go weigh on a certified scale 1/2 mile away. I helped the brown truck load, he really knew what he was doing, although I had my doubts at first, run it on the trailer, chained down the front of the scraper, put blocks down on the trailer, then raised the rear way up. Then backed the tractor between the tires, chained down and away he went. less than 1 1/2 hours to load and go. Check out the video's . Not edited, but the brown truck leaving was nice to see! http://youtu.be/qI11cMpiDfw http://youtu.be/Nb0gaGt9l9g Brown Truck above, quickest loading http://youtu.be/aI18WPYvNC8 http://youtu.be/zjpHglTojFE

  26. #26Terexisking2015-01-15 03:33

    The only machine that will dirt like a ts-24b/c is a 637G . Front engines are 510 hp, rears are 275hp. Regardless of the engine make. The Kta-19 that the C model had was a very durable unit but expensive to rebuild., Tutor- Saliba in California, re- powered some to 6V92 TA in the rear with 350hp, they were incredible, but you couldn't keep axles in them . The drawback to any old motor scraper in 2015 is finding maintence staff , Oilers , mechanics and competent operators and parts. Need to have a complete staff rebuilding machines in house and machine shops to build housings that are difficult to find.