Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex 3172-31B Steering binds up

Helomaniac ยท 2015-04-08 21:13

Looking for suggestions. If I turn the steering wheel quickly it will lock up solid and I need to turn force in the opposite direction to free it up again. Then if I turn the wheel very slowly it will work fine in both directions. This happens in either direction, left or right turns. I don't know where to begin. The steering motor at the bottom of the steering wheel drive shaft is my first suspect but it is a very expensive to replace as a trouble shooting procedure. Has anyone come across this problem before? Thank you.

Replies1
  1. #1Ryan1512015-04-17 21:10

    I would remove it and take it apart see whats going on inside of it. thats what I would suspect its really the only thing it could be... unless something is binding but its unlikely since you say it does okay if steered slowly.