Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transfer Case 2 Speed drop Box and 4×4

lenray ยท 2015-04-09 20:42

I have a tractor with a Detroit 4-71 in it and the transfer case sits behind a Fuller 5 speed--Divorced----.. The Fuller 5 speed goes into a transfer case that has a HI LOW and 4x4. QUESTION My transfer case is bad and down for the 3rd. time. What would I have if I installed a transfer case without the HI LOW---Just a one speed case, but would need it to operate the front axle in 4x4. Also do they make them to disengage the 4x4 without the HI LOW function. What would I have for Power and road speed????? Thank you for any help suggestions..........Maybe a transfer case out of the older Steigers in place of the one I have........... [email protected]

Replies2
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-04-09 21:38

    Typically they are geared as 2W high, 4W high, and 4W low. It may be possible to eliminate the 4W low gears and shaft and just keep the high side. Your top end would remain as it is now. Why does the transfer case keep failing and why do you think the problem is in the low side? I have a big transfer case out of a old 850 Ford power line digger truck with only 46 thousand miles on the unit if all else fails. It was a six wheel drive unit and is very well built.

  2. #2lenray2015-04-09 21:50

    I guess I wasn't clear on my problem. My case is a Rockwell T226 WITH A hi-low and 4x4. There are 2 bad gears and one bad bearing. The price for just the 2 gears is 3800.00=NEW---Haven't been able to find used ones. I am thinking of just buying a completely DIFFERENT case--maybe one from an older Steiger tractor as an example or something out of a heavy military truck or something like you have. I just want to push some snow with this tractor but would like decent road speed and decent power. Was wondering if I NEED a 2 speed case--still not sure I am explaining correctly. Thank you for your time. Maybe you can add more info. len in michigan