Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex 72-31 MP2-U military 1984

southernman13 ยท 2009-06-04 07:37

I have one its a low hour machine but it seems slugish in drive mode and the hycraulic cycles seem slow, this may be common with these machines and thats my question. I changed the hydraulic fluid in the tranny and cleaned the screen everything looked good. should this fluid level be checked while running and what is the best fluid ti use, I'm in the south (GA). I used a tractor fluid from discount auto parts 303 i belive it was. thanks

Replies2
  1. #1cat3202009-06-04 11:48

    our town had a 72-31B 1980 and from what i remember it ran slow no speed records but then again town guys are driving it so they where not in a rush to go anywhere fast.

  2. #2southernman132009-06-04 14:43

    Yea thanks, It seems to run at fast enough speed but its slugish I guess is the word, You need to rev it pretty good to get moving. It will spin the wheels if I get up against a big stump. Its just not an agile machine and they may be the nature of the beast. was also wandering if I remove some of the side mounted counter wheights if that would make a difference. It's main purpose was a forklift, but i have a bucket on it. It is rated @ 10K lift and I dont need to do that I use it more for pushing picking up brush than anything so I dont need the capacity. It weighs 35K that seems really high for a 2 1/2 yrd loader, it has 23.5 x 25 tires air fillled.