Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case w14 any good

pjdiesel ยท 2009-06-03 17:55

Found one for $6500 unknown hours tires good ,brakes good. but don't know anything about case loaders.what your experiencewith a w14? thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2009-06-03 19:54

    I had a W14 a few years ago and it worked good, it wasnt a real powerful machine, but it did the job. Price seems OK, if hyd are good

  2. #2cat3202009-06-03 21:00

    I have never run one but i'm partial to sitting on the back half of the articulation and not the front half. i had a hough that was like the w14 and could never get used to it especially when your backing up.

  3. #3Rusted2009-06-04 03:58

    Amen to that.

  4. #4RonG2009-06-04 04:42

    It is sad to say but that would be the major reason that I would not want a Case loader.The W-14 was not a bad loader otherwise.You will never get used to sitting on the front half of the articulation.I ran two different Case loaders for years and they are clumsy I guess is the best way to put it and it is just so much more work to get anything done with them.Mechanically they are just fine.Ron G

  5. #5insleyboy2009-06-04 21:15

    The W14 has to be an older machine for sure. What type of application are you going to use it for pj? I ran one years ago along with a W30.

  6. #6gggraham2009-06-04 23:10

    W14 wasn't a bad machine. These loaders came with 2 different brakes, disc or drum. The disc brakes were better than the drum brakes. Some of the W series wheel loaders has several brake configuration. 4 drum, 2 drum 2 disc, 4 disc brakes. The torque converter was driven by a fiber ring on the flywheel, there are a couple covers you could remove to get some idea of whether this ring is deteriorating. Transmission and axles are trouble free. The 336 engine is a wet sleeve so make sure that the engine oil isn't milky from a leaking sleeve. Don't be afraid to run it to operating temp. Stall the hydraulics, and stall the transmission. The only other thing and I think everyone mentioned it is....you are driving this thing from the front half of the articulation.

  7. #7pjdiesel2009-06-05 15:24

    thank for all your input. not getting that machine.

  8. #8forcerecon382011-02-01 23:39

    im used to running cats and the articulation from the front does take some getting used to !!! it does feel slower and clumsear than a cat but it does the job ok for a 86 model !!!!and i paid 6000 $ for mine with good tires and 4 in 1 bucket it runs well some disc brake issues the maxis work but the foot brakes are not good !!!!