Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

terex 7231B

cat320 ยท 2007-11-26 17:17

I'm looking at this machine to put a bid on it it has 7800 plus hours stored inside all it's life it does need bucket pins and bushings, looks to be in prety good condition for a 1980 . just woundering what this machine should go for.

Replies36
  1. #1mikef872007-11-26 18:51

    I would think something around $15,000-$20,000 depending on the condition. They are loud, but strong and reliable.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-11-26 21:57

    A little bit of auction history from this last year for you. Year Description Series Date Location Sold For 1981 TEREX 72-31 WHEEL LOADER 51000 Oct - 2007 USA-MD 4,500 USD bkt, cab, aux hyd, 20.5x25 1977 TEREX 72-31 WHEEL LOADER 66000 Oct - 2007 USA-MO 16,000 USD bkt, cab, 23.5x25 1974 TEREX 72-31 WHEEL LOADER 606477000 Dec - 2006 USA-MD 4,750 USD Good Luck!

  3. #3mikef872007-11-30 19:44

    How'd you do? Did you buy it?

  4. #4cat3202007-11-30 20:44

    not yet it's up for a sealed bid auction that won't be over till the 14th.

  5. #5cat3202007-12-11 19:22

    this is the machine if they accept the bid

  6. #6Tn Bulldog2007-12-11 20:37

    Its a good looking Terex Loader must be a govt machine cause its yellow insted of the Standard TEREX GM Green (similar to Detroit Diesel Green ) best i can remember they had either a 453 or 471 Detroit in them keep us posted on how ya come out on the sealed bid later bulldog

  7. #7cat3202007-12-19 09:25

    Well I got the bid info on the auction lost it by $1,300.01.I'm sure that the people who bought it will turn around and sell it for $18K

  8. #8mikef872007-12-19 22:28

    Are you looking for a snow machine? Chadwick and Barass has a Trojan 1500Z which is a 2 yard machine. I have 2 trojans and I love them.

  9. #9cat3202007-12-19 22:36

    It would of been a snow machine for me a little better than using the 580 to move snow around.I knew I should of bid a little more since this machine was a garaged machine too and I know they did trani work on it already plus it was a cheaper 3 yard machine. it kills me to see it go . Yjey used it the last storm damn I could of used it I know i could of got work for it besides my own stuff.

  10. #10fendtman2007-12-23 17:58

    whats the difference? between a 7231 a 7231B and a 60C. are parts reasonable price and available for these models.

  11. #11mikef872007-12-23 18:01

    The brakes are expensive, but other than that everything is reasonable.

  12. #12Countryboy2007-12-23 19:03

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums fendtman! :drinkup

  13. #13fendtman2007-12-24 07:29

    how bad price wise how bad are the brakes. looking on the net, found a 7221. looks like a nice more compact machine.

  14. #14mikef872007-12-24 14:19

    I mean there expensive to a point I don't know the exact price. If your using the machine for snow then it's worth the money, because a loader from 1980 that needs a few thousand dollars worth of work is a lot cheaper than a brand new Cat 938H.

  15. #15cat3202007-12-31 12:32

    well found out some more info on that machine . it had major brake problems and I guess they where never right after one set caught fire as i'm told. so probably a good that the other place got it.

  16. #16erab2008-01-19 09:08

    Terex 72-31b I have been running a terex 72-31b loader with a 471 detroit diesel for about 7 years now. I used to have a brake problem with it but after our company mechanic took it in the shop for a day to get the windsheild wipers workin(which by the way are also air powered). before he took it in i used to have to plow with it for about 7 or 8 hours before i would even have the slightest bit of brake power but im not sure what he did to the air lines but now my windsheild wipers sorta work and now i have perfect brakes. the only diffrence now is the air pressure gauge will only tell you the air system pressure when you have the brakes fully applied. I did not complain but that is the only problem i have ever had with it. I also run a JD 544c loader, Clark 75b loader, jcb215s backhoe and a masssey furguson 120 wheel loader. I pick the terex out of all of them.

  17. #17Countryboy2008-01-20 20:20

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums erab! :drinkup

  18. #18erab2008-01-24 13:03

    Thanks Its Good To Be Here Thank you for the welcome

  19. #19cat3202008-01-25 20:48

    Ok so here is the final chapeter for that machine found out that it sold for around $7100 and change. is now up for sale for $16,500 nice little profit if someone id foolish to buy it for that price with all the work it needs.

  20. #20curbappeal2010-01-04 16:16

    We have a nice 7231aa for sale that is in real good mechanical condition for 8500 obo. Let me know if anyone is interested. Could use a good paint job

  21. #21skyline4202015-02-08 10:42

    Just bought a Terex 72-31B at Kenmore, WA auction for $5500 but now am worried about the brake problem auctioneer disclosed. I am looking to buy service manual off EBAY or at least maybe the parts microfiche. My forklift mechanic thinks he can work on brakes but I would like to give him all the help possible. The unit has 60C painted on it. Is there a difference? I currently own a CAT 966 but haven't used it much since it is stuck in low range.

  22. #22veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-16 14:07

    Terex 72 31 w/471 question for you. hey skyline420--jUST signed up. I am thinking of buying a Terex 7231 loader with detroit 471. The machine runs operated well, but when first cold it creeps in forward and reverse until it gets warmed up a bit. You have sim. issues with yours and where do I check the ATF level from? Thanks

  23. #23zlssefi2016-03-25 22:23

    how does it creep? only moves very slowly? or it creeps forward and back when in neutral?

  24. #24veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-26 01:57

    Thanks for the question...When it is cold [it was 45degrees the day I tested it] I have to rev the heck out of it to get the machine to move in reverse or fwd. When the rig has run for few minutes or so it moves better but still struggles going up hills etc. even when warm. I have old Clark Michigan 125 and that did similar when atf was low. I have not bought the Terex "yet" I do not even know where to check the trans fluid level. ANY SERVICE MANUALS WOULD BE SWEET. Thanks

  25. #25zlssefi2016-03-26 09:04

    there could be two ways to check the fluid. left side of machine there should be a dipstick. if not, there are two pipe plugs in the transmission case and the fluid should be above the bottom plug, and below the top plug. they are only maybe two inches apart. this is engine running in neutral with the brake set of course.

  26. #26kshansen2016-03-26 09:56

    skyline, Might want to start a new thread with question about the 966 loader. Start off with any history you may have on it like when problem started and any work done to it. Be sure to include S/N and any other information as 966 is a machine that has been made over many years and major differences along the way. There are a few people around this forum who have much experience with Cats and access to information.

  27. #27veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-26 13:53

    Thanks for that info on the dipstick and how to check the fluid level...Does that sound like it is issue or poss. could it be the torque converter going bad?

  28. #28zlssefi2016-03-26 21:00

    hard to tell to be honest without seeing some clutch in and out pressures etc. I will tell you that when cold my terex with a 471 has to rev to the moon to back out of its parking spot when heading out to plow. once its on site and warmed up it pushes as good as our newer volvos, and uses half the fuel.

  29. #29veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-27 00:05

    Thanks for that info. I am thinking of buying the rig. Tires good, 471 clean and runs good, 2.5 yd bucket very new. I am trying to buy it for 5 grand, but I really don't want to be messing with any 'torque converter' issues. It could be something as simple as low trans fluid and dirty filters slowing it down a bit. The seller did say "it struggles to go up hills..." He owns big business and is honest dude so he really does not know the issue.

  30. #30zlssefi2016-03-27 09:55

    could be clogged sump strainers too, ive seen that many times

  31. #31veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-27 22:08

    "Sump Strainers"/?? Is that the same concept as an engine oil pan oil pump strainer in bottom of oil pan except in bottom of transmission pan? or are you talking in Hydraulic reservoir?Thanks

  32. #32zlssefi2016-03-28 13:33

    Yes, there is a strainer in the bottom of the transmission casing that can get clogged with debris.

  33. #33veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-28 14:54

    And I suppose the reason it does not have much power when cold is the oil is too thick to get past the strainer and when it warms more can pass... Any ideas where I could get service/owners manuals for that machine? Thanks

  34. #34zlssefi2016-03-29 07:08

    There is usually an aftermarket place on ebay selling manual re prints. thats what i bought for mine, and it has been pretty accurate.

  35. #35veROCKMAN@Gmail2016-03-29 15:04

    Good deal worth risk in your opinion? Given the short amount of info on the condition I gave on the Terex, do you think it would be worth a risk to give 5 grand for it and take my chances with it being a clogged sump, clogged filters, low atf--vs. a bad torque converter or something more serious?

  36. #36zlssefi2016-03-29 18:41

    I would say so. If it runs and moves its worth 5k.