Anyone have opinions? Please, no kids. I need real world experience- may have found a backhoe with exactly what features I want, but it's a T-REX. I was looking at the usual suspects-Case, CAT, Deere, etc. Is TEREX an American company? I noticed the machine I'm looking at is made in England.
I think you should stick to Case, Cat or JD. Terex is on par with Volvo for being clunky. Around here they are rarer than hens teeth. There are not nearly as many dealers to support the product as Case, Cat or JD. For example Terex has 3 dealers in Ontario Canada so far apart you could not drive to all 3 in a day. Case has 7 dealers within 1 hour of my house. Terex only has 11 dealers in all of California. You will pay more for the other 3 brands but for good reason.
That's a good observation, but I do have 2 or 3 Terex dealers within short or reasonable driving distance of me. Like you said, not as many as CAT Case or Deere, but enough to make me feel secure. They do look a little clunky, but their prices are lower because they don't hold resale value like the "big 3". I know that's also a disadvantage, but I need all the machine I can get for the money.
I know OffDiggin has a terex backhoe with sideshift that he uses to dig footings and what not. I'm pretty sure he has had it a while, so if he doesn't find this thread soon i would shoot him a pm to bring his attention to it. I can't speak for there quality, comfort, or reliably it but i like the 970s with the 4 wheel steer, big front tires, and a sideshift hoe. I don't know how it would work for you, but it would be perfect for my uses.
Ive operated a tx970 before and it was extremely smooth. besides that the only other backhoe ive ran was the jd 310. Alls i can say is based of off my experince i would take the terex before the jd! Allot of guys around me eather use th jd or case. Good luck on purchase
Terex Resale Well if you have 3 Terex dealers close by parts should not be a problem for you. As far as the resale value...that doesn't mean a whole lot if you plan on keeping this machine till you run it into the ground. A good resale value only helps you if you flip machines every 2-4 years. I can't tell you much about how they run...have only seen one in our territory so far. The guy who bought it was a die hard Case fanatic. He says it works great but he's not a high production type guy. He digs septics, some small jobs, foundations. Good luck.
We have a 01 or 02 fermec 760 which was the year before they were bought by terex. Theres never been any problems with it, and its done all we have asked of it. The price is usually alot less then the other brands.
Being a bit of a history buff here is more than you want to know about them. The machine is a spin off from the Old Massey Fergusen company of Manchester England. After Massey got out of it, it was privately owned as Fermac. Kobelco actually sold them in NA under the name TLK. Then Case bought the company. Kobelco got out of the agreement. Fiat bought Case...EU made Case sell the company..and Terex STOLE it. Today Terex is the owner of the whole shooten match. Terex is listed on the US stock exchange and yes, a US Company. Beyond that a decent machine that uses the same basic components as most others Carraro drive train and similar or same hydraulics. Have run several. Latest ones are better than earlier as the EU uses the TLB's as loaders first and TLB's second. Hydraulic system had to be changed for North America, where we use them more for Backhoes. Some early versions had Dan Foss electronic controls..Stay away from those. Good Luck
Not a bad machine as long as you are the only operator. Uncle has one on his farm. It was one of the first Terex backhoes, as noted by the fact that it was painted as a fermec, then repainted at the factory as a terex. It is a 760. Smooth machine. I would recommend staying away from the skid steer style coupler for the front bucket. Dealer replaced ours within 300 hours. It was pretty torn up. I say it needs to be an owner operator machine because they suffer if you skip any maintenance. The other downside seems to be the plastic and the fit and finish in the cab. But if you're looking for a low priced machine to run for yourself, go for it. Take care of that machine, it will take care of you.
All I'm gonna do with it is load dirt, dig foundations & footings and dig up the occasional stump. I would be the primary operator. The thing I like is that they seem to come loaded with more features. It's nothing unusual to find one with an AC cab, 4x4, 4/1 bucket & rear aux hydraulics for the same as a basic CAT or Deere.
Our fermec is loaded out just like that. That 4in1 is more useful everyday too.
I'm basically down to 2 different New Hollands (a '00 LB 115 and a '97 675E) and a '02 Terex 860. Only the LB115 does not have a 4/1 bucket. All have rear hydraulic circuit. The Terex is the newest & lowest houred and has 4/1 bucket. Unfortunately, I have to finance. Hoping the T-rex dealer may have something appealing for financing.
american company simple looking machines they can do the job resale lower repair access more thoughtfull
All the Terex's, CAT's, JCB's & New Hollands I've looked at are foreign manufactured Terex-UK CAT-UK JCB Canada & UK NH-Belgium Lots of them have Italian or German drivetrains. CAT & Terex have Perkins diesels
I am not an operator but I was out on a demo with one. We had a loaner from Terex letting a couple customers try them out to see if we wanted to represent them. I thought the machine looked great up front but horrible at the rear because of the stabalizer arms were so long. The owner/operator said it was awsome. He said once you put the stabalizers down they were actually to the side and not under the machine and he said it had more power than his backhoe of a very reputable brand.
I friend of mine bought a new Terex a few years ago due to the low price. I havent seen him for a year as we both moved, but last summer he still had no complaints about it. Seems to be a good machine. I ran it a couple of times and thought if felt more solid than the NH's I have run.
A few years ago i was in a 115 new holland and the cab seemed real small, I rememeber i couldnt swing my feet around to the back like normal and i only wear an 11 boot. They may have changed the cab by now.
hello Duke, I have an 03 terex 760 with 6500 hr on it with no major problems I dig nothing but footings and most of the time with a 4' bucket I do all of my own mantance and repair my dealer has not touch it sence it went of waranty. re sale is bad my buddy turn one in 2 years ago only got 25,000 trade in. Are you looking at an offset or center mount? my seems to be very stable even with a 4' bucket on and being an offset for the money i payed 70,000 with 7 coustom buckets fully loaded its been a good machine for me.. here's pic of my baby when new If you need anything else i know of this thread now.
Nice machine, never seen a terex with 4stick case.
I'd love to find the slide boom type like you can get in europe, but everything I see is a center fixed boom.
I have a soft spot for the Old Massey's followed he for a good number of years and given need for a rubber tyred backhoe the Terex would be number one.Those diggers are descendants with a great pedigree ,the last one I owned is still working all be it with tin cancer around the cab but the engine ( a 248 Perkins) still runs sweetly, has had a couple of hyd pumps due to the rigid drive off the crankshaft pulley,as for the trans and brakes still original and now she has over 15000hrs on her.The front axle is Zf and has had some work done to it .The transmission is a Massey based design and if serviced properly will give years of service. Stock
no its a 4 stick massey controls
I ordered it it took 6 months to get here.
my old massey had 10,000 hr. when she finally gave up the gost. heres a pic
A 60hxs ??? with a 4236 perkins turbo
it was a 50hx non turbo
I always liked the looks of the Massey's like the H series very meat and potatos type machines
nice massey , i ran one just like that when i was 18 and just startin in this work....i didnt really like it at the time but i cant think of anything that was wrong with the machine in the 3 years i worked there.....that machine was 2 stick, what are massey 4 stick:beatsme that like ford 4 stick
The LB115's are a tough find. I found one last month loaded with everything I wanted. Sold before I had a chance to offer on it. Beautiful, loaded, huge machine. :Banghead `
A lot oof the guys that dig footings run them your hands do the same thing as 2 stick. we made them at the dealer --------------2 stick-----[]----------[] -------- 4 stick--------[]----[]-----[]----[] ----------------------boom slew dipper bucket
thanks ..... hey got any more pics of the massey
hey drag1line did you my pics. heres onr I forgot its my kobelco. I had old to new massey-kobelco-terex.
sorry no more pics of the massey
fftopic I like your truck there Offdiggin! How long is that bed?
thats one sexy 359 , you still got it .....
thanks its my old truck that i lost rod out the side of the block. 85 pete short hood 290"wb the bed was 20' flat w/7' beaver tail + ramps wish I still had it but I was so busy when it happend no time to get new motor so I bougtht a new pete.
Awww the good ol days my pete and my terex
yes those were a nightmare electronic controls i drove 1 mf865 and ated it id prefered the older 60hx
:tongi drove a few ** 50d 's stay away from them as they had 2 pedals as torque push one to go forward and the other to go backward naw the 50hx was a good machine in its day and they bought out the ones with 5 speed it had a button on the dash to put into 5 speed for extra travel speed they had a dash in the front and a little dash on the left han of the cab for your rpms and keys the 60hxs was my machine of the ** they were evrything in 91 i was still in school then but with dad all the time they were fast on the road close to a 40k box but not quite it was like the same speed as the 3000 series massey tractors then i drove the first 860 in 93 off the trailer here in mid wales the guy my dad was doing some driving for was the only guy to have one then. They were a very good machine but he had quite a lot of faults on it when bought it new all the backend pipes were layed out like a 1960 machine and kept rubbing and bursting until they put them in a tramline with a rack to hold them but was a good machine allround i was going to buy a 98 model a few years ago and not a jcb cos the ** was better on the land and at the time it was in very good condition when fermec came out 99/00 theyd changed the cab design it wasnt that bad to look at but they had a electric switch for evrything i found even had adjusted the seat to proper position the levers were hitting my legs so the seat had to back a bit and youd have to bend your back more but we are all different i do feel from fermec to terex the terex has tried to modify things but only for the worse theyve made the front end lighter and just does wheelies when the 3ft digging bucket is on the back im not running them down but they should of kept the fermec going and just changed the name they are not bad of a machine at all still copatible with the case and other brands. On a lighter note ** has been making backhoes for 60 years naw and to celebrate theyve made a silver terex 860 limited edition and showing lots of demonstration shows to show it off.
Best of the bunch there ! I had a 2000 860 Fermec which to this day was the best backhoe I've ever driven. Sadly Terex fiddled with the recipe and changes the fantastic Danfoss hydraulic system for the cheaper Husco set up and completely ruined it (imho) We had a 2003 760 which after a lot of trouble in and out of the factory trying to sort the hydraulic problems was swapped by Terex for a 2003 860se, and it was still no match for my Fermec ! They've now swapped to the Rexroth system, but have spent so much time tinkering with the hydraulics and no time on machine development, the Terex is now very dated compared to the new 3cx and Cat machines.
Terex backhoes are made in the UK by Fermec The Terex group has bought up many companies in the last few years and is known worldwide. You would have no problems getting parts or info in the states , canada or worldwide. Terex bought Euclid, genie,diemag cranes, schaeff, Fuchs, Amida, Benford and many others worldwide. I have worked on many terex backhoes and find that they are stronger in terms of breakout force and lifting capy than most others. Overall they are a good machine and are priced below case, cat and john deere. hope this helps. Jeff
Thanks, jeff. I decided to buy a NH LB-115 instead. I was realy close to buying that Terex, though.
Lb115 Duke, how has the LB115 been treating you? I didn't see a way to message you directly. I have begun looking for a good used backhoe and have been ultimately considering a Case 590 or a JD 410. Due to prices I think maybe I should consider a Terex 760 or better yet, one of the larger ones. Being in Montana with plenty of room and pretty hard ground, I thought I would get a heavier machine if possible. Even a JD 710 would be fine except for they are too expensive. Anyway, I see a 2000 LB115 for sale. It has more hours than I would really like - 3,400hrs, but I have not seen it in person yet. Perhaps it is in good shape. Hard to say just from photos. Asking price is less than $29k. I know I could have a much newer Terex 760 with 1/3 the hours for less money. I thought I would see how your LB115 was going. Regards, Greg
It's going great! Awesome machine. Big, poweful and amazing stability. Load the 1.8yd loader bucket up all you want raise it up high and dump into a dumptruck, no bounce or pucker moments. Powerful-108HP what else is there to say? :notworthy Cab is very advanced-lots of controls, gauges, accessories in mine. The 4WS is a dream come true. Turns super tight and just walks over terrain my Case backhoe would have hung-up on. Backhoe is a real powerhouse, but a little gangly without a curved boom. Stabilizer arms set wide. Overall machine seems heavy built-industrial grade, yet full of ergonomics in the cab. Only problems so far is a small cab roof leak and a operatiors seat that won't stay locked all the time. I bought mine with 5800 hours and it runs perfect and looks like it's less than 5 yr old. Go for it. They're amazing machines compared to standard backhoes.
How would you rate the backhoe power on the 115 as compared to the SuperL you had? How much more power? Subjective I know... Will it handle the next size up bucket as compared to the Case? Pull a 3 ft bucket as well as the Case pulled a 2ft? I ask because I don't know... I seem to remember you test drove a 590 at one point... Comparable backhoe? I could be mistaken on the 590 bit... Been a few days...
I would say the LB115 is better with all buckets. It seems to eminate from the size/weight/stability of the stabilizers and the machine's greater power. It handles a 3' bucket easily. I only rented a 590. It has more azz (100+ HP) and wider stabilizers than a 580M. A 590 is a nice bigger machine, but I'd take my LB115 for the 4WS, nicer cab layout and the 4 equal size tires. You go where you want to go. Backhoes like a 590 with smaller front tires don't go where the LB115 will go. A Case 580 M + might be able to hang with my LB 115 since it has a locking rear axle and a l/s front axle, but it still doesn't have the ground clearance. You can practically crawl on your hands and knees under an LB115without hitting your back on anything.
Thanks for the info... There's a few on Machinery trader for decent prices but I'll have to sell my Case first. May be awhile in this market.
When I went to sell my CASE, I thought I was in for a long wait to sell it. Luckily, a paving company was looking for a laoded-up Case 580 and I sold it for only $500 off my asking price. There's 2 LB 115's for sale in PA about 100 miles from me. One is a former township machine. Looks pretty nice, but somewhat overpriced: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6849942 Here's another in PA: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6959908 They're hard to find, but worth the trouble if you want one.....
In the township pictures is that a "snoopy" IH? Looking at those machines the 1999 machine has a 4:1 bucket, and both need new shoes,also looks like the dipper is dropping so a cylinder rebuild may be required.
Why yes, that is a snoopy. There a lot of them still out there.
Steve any chance of a drooling smilies please.
Like the snoopy? I love IH farm tractors. I think they were some of the best ever built, but thought the snoopy's were really ugly.
Terex is a great machine. I have a Terex 760B and and I can tell u that I had no problem selling my 580M series to buy it. Its a better price, better handling, more room (not clunky at all). As for dealerships, true its not like case or cat, but I can get a service guy at my door in 6 hrs or less (traveling time to my place from Pembroke is less then 2 hrs). Case and cat are more common but so are Levis jeans - u pay more for the name brand. For what I could have paid for a used case backhoe 580m with 5000 hrs plus ($50K plus) I bought the Terex at $86K with extended warranty and a second snow bucket. I highly recommend it, but it all depends on if u just prefer other brands, everyone has their choice and I have no problems with that but Terex is great and yes it is american and has been around for like 60 yrs or something and was originally only into the BIG machinery before getting into backhoes and small loaders. Jay
Never worked a terex but i know a guy who changes machines fairly quick. He had a 97 jcb and traded it for a 99 fermac and loved it. he later traded it for a 05 terex and got rid of the terex after 1 yr as he snapped the back actor and got alot of wear in the machine. Before you ask all his work was road work and involved breaker work 90 percent of the time. He got wid of the terex for a new case in 2006 and the case is tight as hell and dry as a bone with 8k hours on it. All machines done the same work, but the case in my opinion having seen all his machines was by far the best. On an off nota a new terex 860SX c/w Powershuttle trans, 100hp Perkins engine,7 in 1 front bucket with forks, Ride control, Fenders,Extending backhoe, Hammer piping, Hyd quick hitch and one rear bucket at 48000.00 euros
I ran a Terex for a couple years and really liked it. I worked for a municipallity and "lowest bid" made the sale (municiple tender policy) It wasn't yellow so I wasn't very happy at first, but it was a good machine. cons were -we had to re-route hyd lines to hoe because they routed them under hoe pivot, cab interior fit and finish was poor,hood latch was garbage (used a bungie), stablizers were long and if you lifted them to fast the shoe would hit the glass, but we found lots of parts including cab glass from case were the same, perkins was great, top speed was 40+ kph. I'm keeping a eye on it and will put in a bid to buy it when it for myself when it comes up.
drtag1line knows his stuff, I remember a TLK, also remember it was not very impressive.
has anyone seen the new 840 series tlb. looks like they have made some improvements. whats everyones thoughts on it.