Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex PT 30 drive motor

Coastiebro ยท 2017-11-04 22:34

Hi Guys, my little PT 30 has a problem with the RH side drive motor, I suspect the worst that the motor has failed. As usual it wasn't me operating but had lent it to a "friend" who called to say it wouldn't run anymore. I have a spare outside support bearing as it was making a noise a week ago but we pulled the outer cover off and turned by hand and seemed ok, so re greased and re assembled (in mean time ) ordered bearing. On turning up to machine it would go forward a bit then stop and tried in reverse and would stop, the more I worked the worse it got so decided to get the trailer and managed to drag (kicking and screaming) onto the trailer. It has done 3500 hrs and we can't do with out it. I also have the main support axles to replace as not sitting square, so weighing up to fix up or replace. I am leaning on the replace side as I don't have time to do the work and also cost and down time would hurt me. Have looked at replacement and like the modifications Terex have done to the undercarriage. I did go and try a bobcat but thought it (590) was a bit slow and complicated, looking at up sizing for loading 6 wheeler trucks but the little PT 30 does the job, just gota watch that bucket! Thanks in advance Matt

Replies4
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-11-09 06:41

    Sounds to me like its the same thing that happened to mine. Take a paint pen, and draw a line, across the outer bearing, the center bolt, and the other side of the outer bearing. Start the machine, move forward, or reverse, then check the line, and see if it ain't aligned, anymore. What is happening, is either the key is sheared, or the keyway is wallered out in the shaft. Fix is a new motor, and/or drive sprocket assembly. Sprocket is about $300 US, Drive motor is more pricey, I lucked out, there. My hyd rebuild guy got me one for $1200, versus $2800 price ASV gave me...

  2. #274inchShovel2017-11-10 10:39

    I had similar problems with my RC 30. The dealer had no repair parts, and could only sell a complete motor for 4400$. Noodling around on EBay, I found a guy who can get output shafts,bearings, seal kits, things the dealer did not have access to, in addition he can get all other parts for ASV/Terex. Company name is Vine&Branch, outstanding customer service. Did the first one by pulling the motor, on the second one found it's possible to replace shaft leaving motor in machine. It's a little tricky doing it this way, so take a good look at your skill set. Hope this helps

  3. #3DIYDAVE2017-11-10 20:19

    If you do it on the machine, TAKE PICS with your cell phone, as you dis-assemble, and mark things. The motor cartridge can go in 2 ways, so after its all together, it may run backwards to the joystick, if that happens, just swap the hoses. Ask me how I know...

  4. #4Coastiebro2017-12-03 01:49

    Up date on the Terex PT 30. It was the key way that let go in the end but couldn't re use either the drive hub or the motor shaft so replacements were ordered, apparently there were updates done and as mine was a "later" one with the larger more expensive shaft! always the case. We took the motor off to replace the shaft as I hate looking for things that spring out in different directions. Did mark the hoses, and the little one on the side was tricky to get back on! Been running flat out for a couple of weeks now, no problems. Next task will be the axles. Parts cost around $3000 NZ plus a bit, my time to pull apart and assemble, and then there,s the lost time not working! Oh well we can't all win all the time. Will be looking to up date mid next year with a newer machine ... another 30!