Hi All, Found my way here from this thread HeavyEquipmentForums I am trying to clear warning on a Terex PT110 to get it out of limp mode after a 250 hour service. I purchased a Comm adapater 3 (317-7485) and have EST 2015A installed and licensed (running on windows 7 based on feedback from others). I don't believe the software is the issue but once plugged into the machine i get "Error 142 The hardware device is not responding". Now my understanding is that when i connect the adapter and power on the machine the red power led should come on, what i am getting is the red power led as well as the J1708 and CDL lights. I tried going into the comm adapter toolkit while it was plugged into the machine and the toolkit doesn't show that an adapter is connected even if i had firmware to flash it with. When i set up the software i connected the adapter via usb and it automatically installed the usb drivers and i have a device listed in device manager as comm adapter 3. I haven't used this adapter before but from my research it seems that the J1708 and CDL lights coming on is unusual behavior and would indicate the adapter is faulty. Any advice from someone with experience with the adapter would be much appreciated. Cheers.
If you plug in the Comms Adapter to the machine without connecting it to the laptop, then turn the key on, you should only get the Red power light AFAIK. If you then connect the laptop and click the "Connect" icon on the ET screen the CDL & J1708 lights should come on. Is this what happens.? From memory I think you need the firmware to update the Comms Adapter to resolve the Error 142 issue.
With the comms adapter plugged in and key turned on, and not plugged into the laptop i had power, J1708 and CDL lights.
If your using knock off software with genuine com adaptors or knock off adaptors you'll get 142 This is the trouble I'm working though with my set up right now
I think the 142 error is a secondary issue, i need to work out if the com adaptor should actually have the J1708 and CDL lights on when its only connected to the machine (no software involved). I don't believe this is the correct behavior for the adaptor, which i think means i have no chance of getting it to connect anyway.
What com adaptor do you have is it genuine cat? What's the part number Where did you get your software
Not from CAT so i very much doubt its genuine, but its labelled as being 317-7485, it came with software.
It might benefit from a firmware update on the Comms Adapter. If that didn’t come with the one you bought then ask whoever supplied it. It’s a long time since I did this but IIRC there were half a dozen or so different firmware files.
I am about to install updated drivers to see if that helps, but updating the firmware on the actual adapter is part of the issue. My PC recognises the device as a comm adapter when i plug in the USB cable but the comm adapter toolkit says "no device connected" so i cant actually do a firmware update. I thought that might be because it needed to be powered on from the machine but even plugged into the machine the toolkit still says no device connected.
It does need to be connected and the machine powered up. The Comm Adapter gets its power from the machine not from the laptop.