Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex PT110 with Perkins 854 Software

wlhequipment · 2019-01-08 10:53

Hi folks, I have a question for the Perkins mavens out there. A customer just came in with a Terex PT110 with a Perkins 854 in it. The turbo is obviously gone and forgotten, but there are trouble codes in there. Those might possibly go away when I put the new turbo in, and do the routine maintenance (which hasn't been done in like forever), but I'd like to be sure. My question is, what software / electronic gizmo do I need to read those codes?

Replies17
  1. #1ih1002019-01-09 13:11

    Perkins EST (electronic service technician).

  2. #2wlhequipment2019-01-09 13:17

    Thanks! Like this one? https://autopartscatalogue.net/perkins-est-electronic-service-tool/

  3. #3wlhequipment2019-01-14 10:48

    Can I buy that software from Perkins, or is that one of those things that only dealers can get (I'm not a dealer, and I don't have any interest in being one)?

  4. #4mikebramel2019-01-15 21:46

    Try epcatalogs or Ted Lord/Truckscan I think you will need Cat Comm adapter to connect

  5. #5wlhequipment2019-01-16 13:25

    I sent an email to Trukscan (TruKKScan?). Maybe they can help. I also checked out epcatalogs. There are 4 different flavors of the software (2009B, 2010B, 2012B, 2015A), and maybe others. I don't know which one I need. Thank you for the suggestion though! I'm going to keep digging. I'll send an email to the epcatalogs people too, but I get the feeling there is a language barrier. Epcatalogs has a TON of manuals there too, so I'm going to be using them at least for that, probably.

  6. #6tool_king2019-01-17 22:30

    2018 is the latest that we use at work .That will let you do all tier for and back .You will need a Cat com off road adapter or a Perkins adapter .I can get you the numbers in the morning

  7. #7wlhequipment2019-01-18 10:54

    That would be so great Tool King, thanks much!

  8. #8tool_king2019-01-20 21:18

    This the Perkins com III part numbers • 317-7485 Perkins Communication Adapter 3 • 9-pin Deutsch adapter p/n 327-8981 • USB cable p/n 370-4617 Perkins com II adapter 27610164 includes data link 9 pin deutsch cable 207-6845 9 pin serial to 25 pin parallel cable Cat Com II adapter 171-4400 includes 171-4401 com adapter 160-0133 9 pin deutsch cable 160-0141 9pin serial to 25 parallel cable I have used the older com adapters with good luck on engines but we ran into a issue were I had to use the newer adapter set up on a newer Perkins engine. Hope this helps you.

  9. #9Nige2019-01-20 22:58

    Aren’t those Cat part numbers rather than Perkins..?

  10. #10tool_king2019-01-20 23:56

    That is what they have on it in a Perkins labeled black toolbox.

  11. #11wlhequipment2019-01-22 14:55

    GREATLY APPRECIATED sir. Thank you!

  12. #12wlhequipment2019-12-18 18:25

    Howdy it's me again, almost a year later. I finally got around to getting the 317-7485 comm adapter and associated cabling. It plugs into the machine just fine, and I have a licensed EST2015, but the lights on the adapter are doing something funny. I would assume I should see the "power" and at least "usb" LEDs on all the time, with the "j1939" and "j1708" on when it's communicating. As you might could guess, I have minimal documentation because this was a "refurbished" setup. I'm trying to work with the guy I bought it from, but they're slower than molasses getting back to me. Is there any published information about this comm adapter showing what lights should and should not be on and when? Rookie here. Thanks!

  13. #13tool_king2019-12-22 15:21

    You should see the power light on .And when trying to communicate the J1939 light should flickering on and off . I will see if I have anything on it . The com three adapter I have as no paper work either . But will see if this week I can test on something at work and see what can come up with .

  14. #14wlhequipment2019-12-23 17:17

    Thanks! You're correct. It turns out, I needed windows 7. Who the hell knows why, but that was the fix. I'm now all connected. And yes, the power light is on (gotta be connected to the machine), and the J1939 light just flickers. That's the only indication on that adapter. I guess we all gotta be computer geeks now too

  15. #15Nige2019-12-23 17:41

    Seen that before and it doesn't completely surprise me. Sometimes Cat software is a bit "behind the times" when it comes to Windows compatibility. I'll be honest it was not the first thought that sprung into my head though.

  16. #16tool_king2019-12-23 20:57

    That is good to hear you got it up and running .

  17. #17tool_king2019-12-23 21:00

    It might have been the com three adapter to .I run cat et on a windows xp laptop with out any problems. But used the com Ii adapter.