Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex TS14B Underpowered

Chicken4U2 ยท 2016-06-26 09:41

I just bought my first dual engine scraper, a 1988 Terex TS14B. I think I would like it a lot more than my paddle pans, except that it's a dog. It doesnt have enough power to spin the rear wheels unless in mud, it feels like im dragging the rear end, and it's impossible to get over a half load. I'm assuming the transmissions are out of sync, but how do I check and fix this? The rear engine blows white fuel smoke when turning over, but won't start cold without shot of starting fluid. Fires back up when warm. Worn engine or rack adjustment? Could this be why it seems underpowered? I've never done a rack adjustment, but found directions online that look pretty easy. Replaced fuel filters already. The hydraulics are painfully slow, and I have to hit a bump sometimes to get the floor to return after unloading. Also figured out that I can't run the hydraulic tank full (top glass) or it will blow fluid out the breather when pulling any levers. I guess there is a reason it was at the auction. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies16
  1. #1RZucker2016-06-26 14:08

    First thing I would do is get a service manual for the machine and an inline series 71 Detroit engine service manual. Between the 2 you should be able troubleshoot your issues pretty easily. Before spending too much time retuning the engine, I would check for broken/stuck piston rings, make sure the blower housing and rotors haven't been dusted, etc. Another thing to check is the air throttle system adjustments. As far as the hydraulic system... I would drain the system and check the tank and suction screen first. I bought an old TS-24 once that had really weak response, Put a new pump on it with same results, turned out the screen was packed full of stuff that looked like felt. The floor hanging up is a sign the hinge tubes and pin are probably worn out, makes it twist over and bind. All in all they're good tough machines. Invest some time and you may have a great machine.

  2. #2Chicken4U22016-06-26 14:33

    Thanks for the tips. I ordered tech an parts manuals from eBay but they haven

  3. #3Chicken4U22016-06-26 14:40

    Sorry, fat fingered wrong button. Anyway, manuals haven't arrived yet. I checked the screen in the top of the hydraulic tank the other day but it was clean. Are there any other screens or filters under the plates on side of tank? Always loved the sound of a Detroit, but never worked on them. Hopefully manuals get here soon.

  4. #4RZucker2016-06-26 15:31

    I think you will find out it's actually a pretty simple, productive machine and most problems are fairly cheap fixes. I loved running the 14s, noisy and hot but they got it done. Funny story, I got to run my old '69 Euclid TS-24 against a Certified Cat rebuilt 637 in 2002, The Cat boys were laughing at me...'til they got smoked 6 loads an hour. For what that rebuild cost I could have bought 30 more TS-24s.

  5. #5grandpa2016-06-27 21:55

    Will have to agree with RZucker,,, don't give up on it. They are moneymakers plain and simple. If the trans. are out of sync that would make the thing a dog. If the rear engine isn't helping that'll make it a dog. You should be able to feel the push from the rear engine when you add that throttle. As far as not loading full, that would also depend on the type of material you are loading. Cutting edge configuration are quite critical on those old dirt eaters too.

  6. #6R.D.G0132016-06-28 05:29

    Came across a 4/71 engine in a loader that was real doughy, they tried everything to get it to go better, eventually found the camshaft was one tooth out of timming, some one had at some stage had the motor apart, it was a simple fix but took along time to find.

  7. #7Chicken4U22016-06-29 18:35

    RZucker, I can certainly see this thing moving serious dirt once I get it right. Grandpa, I was going to set the center cutting edge lower, but both sides are worn down already. Where can I get a new one? Any good place for Terex parts? Parts guy at the local Terex dealer was confused about what a motorized scraper is, so I figured that's my sign to look elsewhere. Anybody heard of OPSltd.net? Seems legit. Trying to find a rebuild kit for the rear transmission shift actuator. The rear trans isn't shifting with the front, and the actuator shaft is bent.

  8. #8Ryan1512016-06-29 21:37

    I think I'll chim in here. If you need any help or advice on the 4-71s let me know I have two of those engines sitting in my shop out of ts 14s I'll need to put new cylinder kits in them but they are mint other than that. But I can help you do some basic checking to get max power out of your engines. The governor adjustments can be touchy if someone fubared it then they will not get full fuel on the rack position hence doggy power. Have some faith get your manual for that inline 71 and check the rack and governor. Make sure all holes are hitting ect. Those 4-71s will push when tuned right.

  9. #9grandpa2016-06-29 21:49

    I get my edges from my local Cat dealer.

  10. #10Ryan1512016-07-01 05:45

    http://www.partsun-ltd.com has a lot of terex parts

  11. #11terexkerry2016-07-01 23:52

    Try the shifters in each gear the cotter pin should be loose is air coming out exhaust alot

  12. #12terexkerry2016-07-01 23:57

    Would say back engine needs work also check hyd tank for something in there or pump they are great units good luck

  13. #13Chicken4U22016-07-08 19:18

    Thanks for all the advice! I'm starting to really like this machine. I rebuilt the rear trans actuator, which made a huuuge difference. FYI, it only has standard O-rings inside, no special seals. Ordered new cutting edges from Heavyquip.com, which should also help. I replaced the hydraulic filter, which was inside the tank, but it didn't make any difference. Planning on trying my hand at rack & gov adjustments next. Terexkerry, there seems to be normal amount of exhaust coming out, if that's what you mean by air out of exhaust?

  14. #14clintm2016-07-08 22:07

    I think he was talking about the suction filter in the bottom of the hyd tank. I had one in a excavator get algae on it from setting and it would hardly move and raise hell like the pumps where bad.

  15. #15terexkerry2016-07-12 16:35

    Yes i was

  16. #16CJGaul2016-11-07 13:51

    We specialize in TS-14 parts, rebuilt components, etc. C & C Repairs www.C-CRepairs.com 614-873-4675