Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex V 12 Detroit Twin turbo

big builder ยท 2007-09-21 19:58

Has anyone ever seen a huge terex bulldozer with a twin Turbo V-12 Detroit in it? A friend has one sitting in his yard. It even runs! I was just curious about what it would weigh?

Replies20
  1. #1dumptrucker2007-09-21 22:21

    There is a company around here that has one they use just to push off their stump dump. I don't know how much it weighs , but I know they have to hire it out to move it because it is bigger than their 50 ton trailer can handle.

  2. #2RDG2007-09-22 02:50

    Sounds like it would be a Terex 82-50 they came out with a 12v-71 rated at 370 HP.

  3. #3big builder2007-09-22 12:35

    Was this the biggest dozer terex ever made? What is the weight ? 60 tons I am guessing.

  4. #4Lashlander2007-10-15 02:22

    82-50 weighs in at 42 ton.

  5. #572V2007-10-18 21:13

    82-50 weight Could that be the bare weight? I figured they were well over 100K lb with blade and ripper.

  6. #6Lashlander2007-10-19 01:25

    I think thats operating weight. I won't be home til the middle of November to look at my book. I'll look it up to be sure.

  7. #7MKTEF2007-10-19 14:18

    Big Builder can we get some pictures? Pleeeaaaassee

  8. #8jimmyjack2007-10-19 20:32

    found this a while ago , get to use it now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmM3xOql6_k

  9. #9RonG2007-10-20 05:58

    That is fun to watch.The narrator doesn't know too much about the machine it appears,he thinks the tracks need grease to tighten them up.It is a shame to run them loose like that,maybe it's to help him go around corners and back up with the ripper in the ground. Those machines had a system using nitrogen to preload the tracks for tension and it actually used grease to adjust them by removing some of that tension for free play.It looks like they have been pumped pretty full of grease. Those 6-71s sound sweet ).Ron G

  10. #10big builder2007-10-26 06:50

    Ok guys I am trying to send some pictures of this old dozer but my weak computer skills are now apparent. I will try again tonight.

  11. #11Lashlander2007-11-18 18:15

    While I was in Akutan they gave the old 82-50 away. So the manuals went with it. I looked in my Euclid, Terex book and it lists the operating weight of the 82-50 at around 90,000 pounds. I'm sure the 42 ton listed in the spec sheet was operated weight. Ours didn't have a cab but did have a multi shank ripper.

  12. #12big builder2007-11-18 18:18

    Lashlander, I took a picture of it. How do I attach it to my reply? I tried but it said it was too big.

  13. #13Lashlander2007-11-18 18:39

    If it was taken with a regular camera it has to be converted to a jpeg format. If it was taken with a digital camera all you need to do is resize it. Countryboys signature tells how to do it. If you want to email it to me I can change it and post it for you.

  14. #14Lashlander2007-11-18 19:20

    Heres the pics that Big Builder took of his friends 82-50. They were a beast. I put around 4000 hours on ours.:usa

  15. #15Countryboy2007-11-19 04:05

    Since Lash brought it up , for future reference check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures.

  16. #16egoman2007-11-19 21:45

    My god that thing is so freakin ugly. So why do I want one so bad? It could be because you could rebuild a detroit with a pipewrench and a hammer. It could be because its painted that hideous green. It could be its not another caterpillar.BUT DAMN IT I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  17. #17Lashlander2007-11-20 10:47

    Aww come on! Just like a lime green AMC Pacer. A thing of beauty!:thumbsup

  18. #18Ray Welsh2007-12-06 18:27

    Biggest Terex dozer The biggest Terex dozer would have been 82-80. Twin 6-71 Gemmies and twin allison trannies. An excellent machine, years ahead of the competition at the time, with infinite speed control to each track and the ability to counter-rotate on the spot. Track frames were a weakness but if the design was owned by Cat we would still see them around today. [email protected]

  19. #19Countryboy2007-12-06 21:15

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Ray Welsh! :drinkup

  20. #20Squizzy246B2007-12-07 07:53

    G,day Ray, Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. I'd suggest removing your email from your signature as spambots trawl through forums like this for email addresses...and you end up having to buy a whole heap of Viagra and send all your money to Nigeria