Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Test driveing a jd650h lgp

NZfarm ยท 2012-01-20 02:31

Hi all, still looking for a dozer. going to look at a jd650h lgp with 4900hr on it any thoughts on what faults to look at . Looks very tidy from the photo's I've seen has got rippers and looks like it's been on tracking, not thrashed in the bush. Cheers nzfarm

Replies9
  1. #1trainwreck2012-01-20 20:52

    we have a 650h with narrow tracks on it, it has been the best dozer i have worked around, poor thing has almost 8000 hours of very hard life on it and is still going strong.

  2. #2firetrack2012-01-21 02:39

    trainwreck, I have no experience with JD dozers. I have a Cat D5N LGP. What would be an equivalent size to this in a JD dozer. I have had a few other JD machines - mainly the green units(all excellent units) but have just recently purchased a yellow unit(328D) an am very happy with it so far. Only done 70hrs though. Firetrack

  3. #3RonG2012-01-21 05:31

    I think a 750 JD would be closer in size to a D5.The D5 is quite a lot bigger than the JD 650.They are both good dozers in their respective sizes.I would not be afraid of the John Deere at all.Ron G

  4. #4LDK2012-01-21 08:05

    The 700J (great dozer) is the equivalent of a 5M or N. The 750J (good tractor) is around the same size as the 6M or N. We run both models, our biggest let down has been dealer service and having either of them standing for a month while waiting for a simple spare part to arrive has not been uncommon. I would not go the JD route again, even though either of these dozers would out work any equivalent sized CAT dozers I have run. Their dealer service and backup has put me off for life, not saying this in bitterness but from experience. We also run a JD 160 LC and a couple of their tracked skid loaders, I would not touch the later, they have been a total disaster!!

  5. #5firetrack2012-01-21 22:44

    John Deere has taken over from Cat to be the supplier of dozers(not sure if they got the graders and loaders as well) to the Australian Defence Force who purchased 850's. I would imagine there is someone in Cat with a very sore backside for allowing this to happen. LDK, What has been the problem with the tracked skid loaders and what models have given these problems. Firetrack

  6. #6RDG2012-01-22 01:05

    The Oz Defence Forces did have a few TD 15Cs at one stage as I saw them up for tender going back a bit, some only had a few hundred hrs on them from new.

  7. #7firetrack2012-01-22 02:48

    RDG, Yep, I saw a few of them as well plus they have/had some Komatsu 155 as well. There is a couple for sale at a dealers yard near the Sunshine Coast in Qld. I assume they came from the ADF. Some of the Cat 130 graders had rediculously low hours on them when sold. firetrack

  8. #8RDG2012-01-23 03:08

    Yup we just had one of those camoflage colour scheme 155s on dry hire for a couple of months on a job at Redcliff.Cheers RDG.

  9. #9LDK2012-01-23 11:35