Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

track help

chrisw21_2000 ยท 2012-01-19 09:58

I have a Mitsubishi bs3f and have a few questions about the tracks. The bushings have unusual wear on them from I guess running loose. The teeth look like they are worn as well. My question is Should I tighten the tracks and keep running or have the tracks repinned and bushed or is it cheaper to buy a new chain set. I can redo the sprockets (run a machine shop). This is for farm use.

Replies4
  1. #1dirtfan2012-01-19 14:13

    Hello: You could check the distance between the center of the pins to see how badly they are worn. If the wear isn't too bad (75% +/-) they could be turned and run for a long time just doing farm work. The sprockets should probably be replaced as well. The height of the rail should be considered also, depending on the amount of wear that has taken place here. But you will have to justify the cost of turning the pins and bushing vs. buying new. Tightening the tracks and running what you have as long as you can is an option, but be careful, depending on the terrian you will be running in and the work you will be doing. Old worn tracks come off a lot easier than new well adjusted ones. Have seen it done both ways over the years, but believe me new is better if you want to keep it running all the time. JMO. Dirtfan

  2. #2Igor Parts2012-01-23 10:56

    Hi Chris; You may run into an issue finding the pin and bushing kits for that machine. I haven't looked yet, but will. Guessing with the kits plus labor to press them in itwon't make too much financial sense. New chain are about $750 each with another $150 or so in track bolts and nuts. Barry

  3. #3chrisw21_20002012-01-25 12:15

    Thanks. I'd like a number to reach to get them for 750 each. Most quote around 900 each Anyone have any dimensions for determining amount of wear on this thing? I see the pin bosses are bumping the rollers. And the chains definitely have wear you can tell by moving them by hand.

  4. #4Igor Parts2012-01-25 12:48

    Sure. It is.... 1-888-524-7711 It is sometimes the case that the link height has worn down in combination with the bottom rollers wearing on the outside diameter to allow the pin bosses to hit the roller flanges. When that chain is new, the link height is 2.95 inches or 75mm. Bottom rollers are about $98/each.