Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Testing and adjusting hyd pump(s) Cat 315L

Tim98TA · 2025-10-13 23:36

I have read the manuals describing how to test and adjust pressures and frankly it is sort of confusing. Some of the diagrams have reference numbers that don't exist on that drawing, etc. I want to test and adjust the 2 main pumps and I think this also requires adjusting the main relief valve. I have tested and adjusted the pilot valve. That was pretty straight forward. What is the simplest description of how to test and adjust those? I have 2 gauges. Next I think I will be needing to test the pressures to the drive motors.

Replies2
  1. #1aongheas.macask2025-10-14 19:32

    Best to include a machine serial number first, then explain why you to want to test pressures, adjusting hyd pumps will only alter the flow but the q max and q min is usually factory set , system pressure(pump output pressure) to the main spool block is set by the main relief valves , boom, stick ,bucket ,swing and travel all have secondary relief valves with different pressures. That is a very basic idea of how things work but a hydraulic schematic of your particular machine will show in detail. If you don't understand the basic hydraulic system then testing and adjusting different circuits is probably best left to a heavy equipment mechanic.

  2. #2Tim98TA2025-10-15 07:04

    Serial number - 6YM02363 The main pump was replaced a couple years ago with a rebuilt one. The reason I want to test is once the machine is used for about an hour to hour and a half it starts to lose hydraulic power and movement speed. Also around the same point the tracking speed will jump from slow to fast very quickly until finally going to fast. The button on the monitor makes no difference. I was told to start checking my pressures. Thanks for the information