I got an offer to go turn wrenches in texas for an outfit that builds roads and oil rig sites. its a long way from home but the offer is excellent and the outfit came recommended from a good friend of mine. any of you guys got any insight or advice?
I don't care for all the travel. Roughnecks are a different breed, so things can get interesting. If you are working for the big boys be ready to have safety crammed down your throat.
Couldn't agree more with Dozerboy. Be ready for hard work, hard hours, not much of a life, and good pay.
I agree with all the advise If you are tough enough to handle a job like this and if you have no ties at home you can make some good money. If you have ties and dont want to be away from her every night, then dont waste your time. It tougher than the military, but a whole lot more money BEWARE you are going to work your butt off and if the big boys like you, you will always have a job
its a small local outfit. 17 employees. supposed to be around 60 hours a week but I know how that can go. I don't mind working hard and the $ is excellent with housing included. I'm going down in a couple weeks to meet the owner and check it out. how hot does it get down there? is it humid or dry?
Depends on the part. I am in Houston and we might get 110 with humidity in the 90's but out in West Texas i know it can get awful dry. William
X2 you know its hot when you are drinking a case of water a day by yourself.
I have family in west Texas. When work out there I freeze three milk jugs of water ( the night before) to drink through out the day. You WILL need it ! The dust and wind sucks too ! Winter or summer. May not drink the third all the way but , keep a towel wrapped around it and use it to hang around you're neck. Nice and cold .
I am in west Texas and the wind blows like crazy, and I agree with everyone else on the hours and work. Being an oilfield hand is no kind of life. You will find some of the weirdest craziest people ever. Housing being offered is a plus. Checked on hotel availability in the midland Odessa area about a month ago and nothing available except a small crummy place on the outskirts of town and half the door was missing, it was still 120 a night. Drove on through. One thing no one has mentioned here is that the reality of the work being gone overnight is huge. It is largely reliant on politics and permits can be gone like that. You might go in one day and they will be handing you a pink slip. Happened to me before, couple years ago. Laid off everybody almost. Bank parking lots completely full of repoed drilling rigs and extravagant lifted diesel pickups and welder rigs and four wheelers and stuff, houses repoed. Crazy. Seems like most of them like to live beyond the means while they are making the money. Had a friend that was nineteen and financed a 300k dollar house in the high end of town. It got crazy for awhile. You can get a peak at it all, not really reality like they claim, but you can see the area, on a show called black gold on tru tv. But main word from the wise, save your cash while the job lasts..
thanks for all the advice. I'm headed down in mid march to check it out. luckily I wont be an oilfield hand but i'll be turning wrenches and hopefully home most nights. long hours are nothing new to me, and the $ is way more than I can make here in maine.
If it's west Texas then you might end up with nose bleed problems cuz it's drier than a popcorn fart as they say.
We need you and your wrenches....... Mike L If you’re wrenching on oilfield equipment than you’re an oilfield hand, you may not be “In the Field” as they say, but you’re supporting it and trust me we need your support. Without the wrenches nothing gets done! I want to thank you for joining the select group of Americans that help bring ENERGY to this country. This country needs energy and it takes some selfless people working long hours to explore for it, to find it, transport it, refine it/produce it, transport it again (as a refined product) and get it into our possession where we can use it. It doesn’t matter if it’s mowing your lawn, heating your home, putting diesel fuel in your motor grader, gassing up the family car, watching the drag races, gambling in Vegas, attending the latest Opera/Concert or just using your computer; it all takes energy and somebody needs to find it, produce it and get it there. I’ve met many people who want it and they want it cheap, but they refuse to make the sacrifice; the long hours, the time away from home and the high risk. I just returned from a 7 week hitch on the North Slope and though I don’t like the time away from family the work is very rewarding. Be Safe, Good Luck, You will not regret it, Randy
Randy Thanks for your hard work to help bring us the oil. Looks like tough conditions in that picture, though I am sure there are much worse. Have a great day.
I got back from texas last night. I've decided to take the position. headed down in a couple weeks. looking forward to the adventure!
Good luck n God bless !:beerchug
What's the name of the company if you don't mind?