Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Texas Work Outlook ?’s

Jfarris ยท 2014-11-10 21:05

I'm thinking about taking a drive out to Texas to try and make some contacts, but I thought I would throw this out there first. Not sure if anyone would even want to respond, or offer any advice/leads, but hey, what the heck. Can't hurt to try right? I've owned my own business since 2002. I'm really sick and tired of jumping through hoops here in California as a business owner, and as a resident. I just want to work, earn a decent living, raise my kids, be able to own however many of whatever firearm I choose, pay a feasible tax rate, and be able to just enjoy work and life at a slower pace. The pace we work at here in California is tiring. Anyone from California can vouch for that. I have a small spread of equipment that's kept up. It'll work day in and day out. I use machine control. (GPS & Laser) I'm setup to do small jobs to large jobs. I have heard of quite a few contractors that are leaving California and going to Texas. Is there that much work going on in the State of Texas? What type of work is available? Commercial, Residential, Public?

Replies9
  1. #1Moonlite2014-11-10 21:21

    Oil patch is doing good

  2. #2Jfarris2014-11-10 21:24

    Not quite sure what you mean by "oil patch". You mean oil field work? I have a cousin who works on a drill rig out there. He's trying to find me a contact to bid on the well site pads.

  3. #3Moonlite2014-11-10 21:26

    Yes oil field work.

  4. #4Mike L2014-11-11 06:31

    We build locations down here I'm the oilfield. There is quite a bit of work in south Texas and also in west Texas. Also seems to be a fair amount of work fixing and grading ranch roads.

  5. #5mowingman2014-11-11 20:18

    Plenty of construction work anywhere you want to go in Texas. Oilfield work, utility work, road construction, land clearing, rock and dirt hauling, utility installation/relocation, site prep, road building. There is more than enough work to go around. I don't know what you specialize in, but if you have a dump truck, or machinery to move dirt, you can put it to work here in a hurry.

  6. #6caterpillarmech2014-11-12 05:59

    Austin is booming. Come on in just leave the California policies behind.

  7. #7Jfarris2014-11-12 09:45

    I have heard that the Californians are ruining Austin. I ran into the same thing in Colorado. There's not one policy that I would want to bring from California to Texas. I'm going to make a drive back there after Thanksgiving to see what I can come up with.

  8. #8Colorado Digger2014-11-16 12:56

    I can understand the difficulties of working in California but do not understand about Colorado. There is so much work on the front range and the prices are so good that I know excavation companies that are working down there but come from the western slope. The western slope is busy and the gas/oil patch is clicking right along. I think our valley is busier than some of the others but there certainly is no shortage of work at the moment. I don know there is also a ton going on in Texas and the cost of living is probably lower. I'll stick to this little valley in Colorado, Best Regards, CD

  9. #9Jfarris2014-11-16 13:46

    CD- By that I meant politically. The Denver area is very Liberal these days. But, after this last election, maybe it's swinging a different direction. I bought a house in Colorado in 2009. I moved back there in 2011 to try and make a go of it, because I knew there was going to be a ton of work along the front range, but ran out of money waiting for it to hit. I still have my house, but its in a lease/purchase contract right now.