Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TH460B won’t go into gear

Pilgrimjt · 2015-02-14 12:34

I have a 2005 Cat TH460B that I've owned for about six years and has worked well for the most part but has had transmission related issues a fair bit. I had to replace the shift rail sensors about four years ago. For the last two and a half years it's had this problem of not going into gear at times, more so in spring and fall, but the last few weeks it's been really bad - almost daily. So far I've found nothing consistent with getting it going again except to wait. Sometime restarting a few times does it, sometimes not, other times just leaving the machine idling for a while does it. When I had the shift rail problem I was able to get the computer codes by cycling the key, but with this there are never any codes that come up. Just wondering if anyone here has had a problem like this or any experience with this?

Replies17
  1. #1Per Eriksson2015-02-14 16:40

    How's your oil and filter, any signs of metal in the tank?

  2. #2Pilgrimjt2015-02-14 19:04

    I did a complete service job last fall and everything looked good. I'm fairly certain it's something electronic, I'm just not sure what.

  3. #3Dualie2015-02-16 00:34

    had the same problem with a rental the ended up replacing the shift selector and doing a recalibrate.

  4. #4deniden2015-02-16 01:59

    There are all the instructions and spare parts catalog cat telehandler Who are interested in writing

  5. #5CM19952015-02-16 10:52

    I would look at the shift selector also. 420D had the same problem of going into reverse only when it wanted too.

  6. #6Dualie2015-02-16 19:43

    They never did fix my biggest pet peeve about the damn thing which was you had to take your foot full off the brake before it would "catch" a gear. so it wouldnt hold well if you shifted from forward to to reverse while stopped on an incline.

  7. #7CM19952015-02-16 19:50

    The TH460B I had the dealer replaced the instrument cluster twice due to gauges not working, never had a problem with the trans. Got rid of it after a few years but still have ol' Blue a '90's Gradall. Still cranks, runs and lifts.

  8. #8Pilgrimjt2015-02-17 11:33

    So if it is the shift selector, would that not set a diagnostic code? So far I've never been able to retrieve any codes when it's not going into gear. It's been working good again yesterday and so far today.

  9. #9southernman132015-02-22 09:22

    Where do these codes show up? I have the same machine and it's worked very well but now I'm having issues with the steering. It is stuck in what seems like two modes. Crab and 4 wheel steer. It won't domeither one correct. Theres 2 steering icons lit up on the dash as well and one of them is blinking. Any ideas?

  10. #10deniden2015-02-22 09:43

    There are all the telescopes full information Anyone interested?

  11. #11deniden2015-02-22 09:45
  12. #12Pilgrimjt2015-02-23 18:21

    southernman13, the codes will be displayed on the instrument panel in the digital windows. The way to get them to display, if there are any active codes, is to start with the ignition in the off position and cycle the key three times within ten seconds and leave it in the on position. This puts the panel in service mode.

  13. #13southernman132015-02-23 20:44

    Thanks Pilgrim. Not sure what the code will be if it throws on but I'll look!

  14. #14ANDREW C2019-05-14 10:36

    Did you have any luck with this problem? I have the same machine model with the exact same problem

  15. #15Pilgrimjt2019-05-14 10:52

    Yes we did figured it out eventually. It ended up being an electronic proportioning valve that was not working intermittently. The machine had to be calibrated after the new part was in. It's worked flawlessly since.

  16. #16MKMmech2020-04-18 14:36

    I’m having the same issue, would you have a part number for that electronic proportioning valve or where it’s located ?

  17. #17Mark2502020-04-18 19:26

    Their could be a number of reasons for your problem Could you tell us what the lead up to the problem is History, services, repairs, working conditions, intermittent fault or constant or any thing at all that may be relevant serial prefix SLF ?????