Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

That had to hurt!

Dirtman2007 · 2008-09-20 19:13

I'm sure the operator felt that bump How's he going to get out now? http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=J2fgtqq0-_4

Replies40
  1. #195zIV2008-09-20 19:36

    Apparently Chris, anyone dumb enough to do something like that with a machine isn't smart enough to know that he should be affected by a landing like that, he just goes to work without a pause.

  2. #2sbrem2008-09-20 19:37

    Ouch!!

  3. #3Dirtman20072008-09-20 19:52

    did you noticed how the side pannel door flew open on impact?

  4. #4fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-20 20:04

    Ahhhhhh those Russians! They bring us the very best of comedy.

  5. #5woodchuck22008-09-20 21:46

    Ahhh, what a hammer head!!!

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2008-09-21 02:27

    Well, though I would not reccomend it, maybe they had to get by with what they had, and had no other way to get down. For the drop involved, he came down pretty easy. A pipe crew I used to work on regularly dropped into holes like that, and with 65 ton machines. I never seen them have any trouble because of it. As for getting out, I bet a crane will be involved.

  7. #7OCR2008-09-21 06:06

    The Slide: I took the liberty, and scanned a picture from a book by Reinar Christian... Called... Excavator Handbook... Advanced Techniques for Operators . The slide is a very legit technique and works good if done right. What happened to the fellow in the vid was that he got his stick too far back and it more or less folded in... over came the pressure relief of the cylinder it self. I don't know if you can read the discription... but it's more of a boom function use, rather than the stick. There two more pages... that I did not scan... that gives more information on the technique, and also explains exactly why and what happened to the guy in the vid. I've played with the technique my self... and other than seeing a lot of thin air, as in illustration # 2... had no problems at all. If the fellow in the vid. had correctly performed the technique, he actually could have stopped basically any where on the way down... honest. I would highly recommend this book... OCR

  8. #8SKOAL2008-09-21 10:46

    that is a cool book ive used that move, alot more controlled on lifts and can get back out again have to watch getting to radical on the way out looks like the slope was a little damp also

  9. #9Eric2008-09-22 23:14

    Where can I find that book? By the way, that was FUNNY!

  10. #10OCR2008-09-23 00:15

    Wife bought it from Amazon, Eric. It's a good book... well worth the read. OCR

  11. #11digger242j2008-09-23 00:48

    From the scanned page of the book, "...the distance between elevations should not be greater than one half the extended reach of the stick." Maybe he needs to re-read the book. That looks like a lot more than half the extended reach of the stick.

  12. #12OCR2008-09-23 01:31

    Well you made me look at the vid. about 3 more times... that's about 20 now... didn't know you could read that bad print... He was plenty high... but it didn't look like he had the stick extended far enough. The vid. is so short it's hard to catch, but I clicked pause and play off and on... kinda slowed it a little I guess... doesn't looked liked he boomed up hardly at all... for obvious reasons. It also didn't look like he had boomed down far enough One thing for sure... it sure folded the stick back. OCR

  13. #13mtb3452008-09-23 13:59

    i ve done this many times.there are two types of braking ,one using the boom to control the speed of the slide , two as you slide down the dirt underneath the tracks builds up acting as a brake . in the video it looks like clay no give i ve would dig out an incline at the top so the tracks have something to push down on or use the boom and dipper to control the speed of the slide boom alone cant control speed you have to have pressure against the embankment and working everything in sync[bucket ,boom and dipper] ive worked in conyers ga for a couple of yrs lots of red clay

  14. #14joispoi2008-09-23 14:03

    If the bucket hadn´t slid forward in the mud, I think some doors would have stayed closed and the operator would have walked out of the machine as tall as he was when he climbed into it. (That can´t be good for the back)

  15. #15stumpjumper832008-09-23 17:32

    why not just move a couple of bucket fulls then just track down in?

  16. #16bigblueox2008-09-23 22:10

    gotta watch your counterweight! i hate a counter without paint!

  17. #17semipro2008-09-24 16:18

    It seems like a official move but thats what I been thinking.

  18. #18bigcatpip2008-09-24 18:29

    I like to make my tracks stick on the slope that i am coming down( not have my idlers in the air) . it just how I do it. then when I get to the bottom I turn so my backside dont get mess up. just me dont know if it is right or wrong but it works

  19. #19antnyk2008-09-25 00:58

    I just cant see how he went right to controls after the hit. No recovery time? you would think at least a sec or two of shaking it off.

  20. #20ben46a2008-09-25 07:09

    By the shape of the machine it wasnt the first time hes done it.... Hes probably used to the impact.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2008-09-25 20:58

    We can't see enough on the video to know the conditions that exist at the site. There may be burried utilities, concrete footings, sheet pile walls, property line issues, or any number of other reasons that would not allow benching down easy. I agree the boom should have been down a bit farther, and maybe a different angle on the stick, but for the muddy slick conditions, he did not do a bad job coming down. If it had been a little less wet, the rear of the tracks may have dug in and slid down slower, but he had to go into the hole in the conditions that were there at the time. While it maybe was not the best job, he overcame the obstacle so the work, whatever it is, could be done. If we all only worked in perfect conditions, a lot of us would be sitting a lot of the time. We have to deal with the conditions we are given and do the best we can. I am not advocating working unsafely, or tearing up equipment, but sometimes we have to get by with what we have.

  22. #22BCB2008-09-25 23:09

    sorry guys to me it just doesn't look like he hit THAT hard to me?

  23. #23ben46a2008-09-26 08:27

    I did notice a couple loose buckets of fill where he landed possibly to soften the blow..

  24. #24mtb3452008-09-29 12:09

    going down is one thing how about getting ?out

  25. #25AtlasRob2008-10-19 10:50

    Who said he had to come back out Major mishap that nearly cost him dear was as pointed out previously, the dipper was too close in and he/she very nearly blew the top ram.

  26. #26Reuben2009-11-19 12:36

    I dont think he hit hard at all either...the door popping open doesnt really mean anything.....I asked my wife to watch this and I asked her if anything stuck out about the video. She said nothing at all...SHe has seen me and guys that work for us go down in holes like that before and she said it may have been faster then what she has seen us do but she said it didnt look like he hit hard. looked more like an experienced operator to me. It may be like landing a plane,"any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"

  27. #27powerjoke2009-11-19 13:40

    No problem here, done it many times. I would let him run my machine anyday! Pj

  28. #28Reuben2009-11-19 18:14

    lets make a poll out of this..I dont know how to start one but maybe someone else will... have you or would you do what the operator in the video did? I have and will continue to

  29. #29powerjoke2009-11-19 20:43

    mmmmm. think someone needs to start a new thread unless a MOD can add one. Pj

  30. #30roddyo2009-11-19 21:15

    +1 I liked it. That guy's good BTW. :drinkup That's a pretty handy move around here on these drainage ditches. Just grab a couple of trees and throw to the bottom for a set of mats and beaver slide down and hope you land on them. Sure beats tracking out and loading on a lowboy. Nothing near that vertical but close sometimes with a lot softer landing in the bottom of a ditch. I don't know if it's right or wrong but I cheat a little bit by dropping my idlers down a little before bailing of the edge. I guess one of these days if I pop my tracks off in the bottom of a ditch I'll know the answer. ointhead

  31. #31Dirtman20072009-11-19 21:46

    I know I've walked down slopes before, nothing quiet that virtical tho. Just stick the boom down and walk yourself down.

  32. #32lectro882009-11-19 22:22

    I would, but in a different sequence. first I think I would turn teeth down to dig-in and hold better, then lower the front so the counterweight would not drag, and finally hold enough back pressure to hopefully have better traction and not slide and land as "hard" but I take a little more care than some do. If it breaks I have to pay for it, less abuse and less hard use = less down time. If takes a little longer to finish its faster than the lost time in the shop. I have nothing bad say about how anybody else runs their machines, I just choose a different method, I know these are tuff machines but my luck is not the best so I walk a little softer and hit a lot harder LOL.

  33. #33maple flats2009-11-25 18:55

    I don't think I'm ready to try that one!

  34. #34redline2009-11-26 19:40

    i reckon he did ok considering the conditions and the stuff we dont know about!! i think if he controlled the slide with the boom instead of the stick then he may have made it look a bit smoother but with that sloppy soft muck to land on i doubt he even felt the landing

  35. #35plantman.uk2009-11-27 12:39

    now thats a novel way of getting it down.....works better on wet clay....slides a lot better. a bit harsh on landing i would have tried to hold it on the dipper and bring it down a little slower but it always gets the arse twitching go over like that..

  36. #36AtlasRob2009-11-28 13:01

    That's good enough to be a signature

  37. #37Eddiebackblade2009-11-28 16:40

    I think it looks a bit rough, but it certainly looks slippery and very confined for the guy. How would anyone know how long he's been in the seat or how many times he's tackled something like that. I can honestly say there's a few old bangers and hired machines had a few good thrashings to 'find the limits' so to speak along the way in my career! At least he had a go and next time hopefully he'll do it better. By the way I thought all operators set off in high track away from their best stunts without a second glance, they look cooler that way!:cool2

  38. #38insleyboy2009-11-29 08:32

    I wish the video was a bit longer in length so I would know a few things such as...How much deeper was this next cut? Because it looks as though he is very limited with a swing radious not to mention he can barely back up if he is digging that cut already. As I said a longer vid would tell a lot more, but from my point of view why not a long reach excavator and a mini excavator???

  39. #39Jam2009-12-28 11:27

    If his bucket teeth were pushed into the ground at a point further out than the dipper pivot point and control decent with boom cylinders would have been a bit smoother but in real terms job done!!

  40. #40mxridernrth2009-12-31 03:12

    I don't know. Look out further from where the bucket is planted. Doesn't it look like like he's landing on a bench? And if so, then wouldn't that explain why he isn't placing the stick further forward. So that he doesn't inadvertently break the corner off the bench and really go for a ride.